05-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #162
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoixiaoni View Post
Inevitably, technology is advancing and the good old days of N/A motors will soon become completely obsolete, just like the manual gearbox. Where turbo chargers USED to be the "secret sauce" of making significantly more power and torque out of a comparably displaced N/A motor, they are now as ubiquitous as well...todays BMWs in their manufacturing plants and dealerships worldwide. In other words, essentially all makes and models, minus the SELECT few automobile manufacturers who are desperately holding on to the N/A application, will be forced induction. Soon the turbos/superchargers will be replaced, or rather, will be complemented by the new wave of automotive technology, electric power.

Based on the OPs discussion here about the "possibility" of a 4 cylinder motor for the next M3, of course it can and most likely will happen. For everybody on the forum whose primary concern for these new vehicles is the amount of power the car makes, let me be the first to tell you, you need NOT worry about the incapability of a 4 cylinder engine making enough power. They can make SIGNIFICANT power, and with the advancement in technology today and more specifically over the next 6-7 years, they will be able to do it in a way that will of course be reliable for a DD car, in my opinion. For those who understand that the true dynamics and meaning of an ///M car has always been ALL aspects of the car, not just engine power, the 4 cylinder motor will obviously aid in every aspect of handling and weight, paired with the carbon fiber technology and yes, battery power that I'm 99.99% sure, will complement the upcoming 4 banger.

What does this all mean? Well, I for one didn't appreciate N/A motors until I owned my e92 M3 to be completely honest with all of you. I was never a fan of American cars, and I absolutely loved destroying the loud V8s with my 2.0 liter, 4 cylinder motor. I had Evos from 2005-2012, until I finally let my Evo IX go for a new E92. I had a strong desire to step it up in the quality and class department, plus I wasn't in my 20s anymore.

Coming from my Evo did I notice immediately the lack of torque coming from the S65? Absolutely. On the contrary, did I notice the immediate response of the S65? 100%. I didn't get the E92 M3 car to be the street racer, I got it because I could get an incredible package out of the gate that I didn't need to modify and could still perform EXTREMELY well at the track......and wellll, the lack of modifying will obviously change. ;-) Just to be clear, my Evo would run circles around my M3, but it definitely wasn't stock. My Evo trapped 124mph in the quarter mile on the stock block and pump gas. Yes, it was wild.

The only thing I know right now is that in 5-10 years and beyond, many people will have a significant desire to get into the car, with the "antiquated" gas guzzling motor that makes that incredible sound and sucks up gasoline like well, my S65. Do I care? Absolutely not. It will always be a gem.

The new M3/M4 will be incredible performers NO doubt. They will be incredibly potent machines with the turbo charging application, but yes, the sound will never compare until you open up the exhaust pipes and throw some external VTA wastegates on them. Obviously however, it will never sound like a V8 either.

Everybody on this forum should be incredibly proud to own whatever version of the M3. They are all great cars, my brother has an E36 M3 and I love that too. Sooooo light, it's manual, and so fun.

Mercedes Benz and their CLA 45 has the highest stock horsepower in 4 cylinder form, and they have the same transverse engine setup as my 4G63 had. They can make gobs more power out of that too. Now just imagine what will happen "when and if" BMW throws in electric power to complement the fully capable 4 cylinder of the future? Well, one can only imagine what that car will be like, but the torque fill will do EVERYTHING to create instant performance that lacked in larger turbo 4 cylinder setups such as this, and will equally benefit from a high revving 4 cylinder motor. An example of my old Evo.

I clearly NEVER post, so i apologize for all the words. I had some things to say.
Appreciate 0