View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #130
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
The previous X1 was based on the E90 platform. The new one is based on a Mini. Speaks for itself, and also why I didn't consider the new one. Probably great for it's intended audience. If someone was considering one I'd tell them to find a 2014/15 X1 35i.
It's more fair to say the brand new Mini Clubman and the X1 share a corporate chassis. Actually the C and D article was quite favorable. The actual quote is: "The steering is quick and keen to respond, though loath to provide any real feedback from the road". Not exactly praiseworthy but they also say: "The payoff (for a taut ride) fir this pain is back-road agility, a rare find in crossovers. Rock and roll motions are itghtly containtes, and there are occasional hints of sports-car-wannabe syndrome".

Overall the review criticizes the crappy all season tires and the car in general is a competitive luxury crossover but not a great BMW.

More troubling to BMW is the comparo in the same issue with the fairly new X5 which came 4th of 4 vs Volvo, Range Rover and Audi. In only it's 3rd year it was trounced by the Audi and Volvo, especially in handling and fun to drive. To me this shows that BMW is sitting on it's laurels as the sales leader and ignoring the enthusiast market.
Appreciate 1