09-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #22
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMe90 View Post
Not excited about this at all due to the absence of MT option. It's unfortunate because I will probably be in the market during this generation's production cycle.
I'm a manual only guy, and drive a GTI because nothing from the other Germans fits my other requirement of being moderately light.

But, we own an F30 because our previous X1 35i was totaled. Both are automatics, the X1 a 6s and the 328i is the 8s. I actually preferred the 6s and never got the hype about the ZF 8s. We both dislike the F30 all around and were looking to get an Audi. But we borrowed an X3 M40i for a weekend and if the G20 is anywhere near as good, it will be a return to form.

The X3 transmission is honestly the first automatic that actually made me think this whole three pedal thing might be dead. It held gears where it should, it downshifted where it should. It just seemed wildly unrelated to materially the same transmission in our LCI F30.

Now if BMW USA wasn't all about margins and cared about enthusiasts, we'd order a G21 M340i and call it a day, but we'll end up with the X3 and it will be such an improvement over our F30, I think the better half will be happy.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00