Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW G20 330e Transmission Issue

05-03-2024, 02:57 PM   #1
Exkryptt8
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

BMW G20 330e Transmission Issue

Hi guys,
I just picked up my used BMW 330e 2020 mineral grey M sport model,
It’s happened 4 times now when I floor it maybe 75% in hybrid mode the card struggles to shift and will red line for an unusual amount of time making me fear for damage of the transmission and breaking. Then after it happens every time it won’t replicate the issue until I turn the car off and drive it again say next day or hours later.
It happens both in regular Drive & S1 S2 etc
Anyone any similar occurrences is this something I should worry about or is it maybe some sort of safety or normal occurrence

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:50 PM   #2
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
what is S1 and S2 that you are referring to? Are you manually shifting (like when you pushed the gear lever to the left?) Because if that is what you mean, the car will not upshift by itself, it will stay in the gear you selected.
      05-03-2024, 06:54 PM   #3
Exkryptt8
Ireland
Rep

Yea by S1 S2 I mean the sports transmission when the gear for me its pushed to the left (RHD), I was under the impression this was still automatic shifting as opposed to M1,M2 etc which is manual.
Anyways it happens in both drive modes regular drive and when the gear is put into the left
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 08:42 PM   #4
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exkryptt8 View Post
Yea by S1 S2 I mean the sports transmission when the gear for me its pushed to the left (RHD), I was under the impression this was still automatic shifting as opposed to M1,M2 etc which is manual.
Anyways it happens in both drive modes regular drive and when the gear is put into the left
Correct. If you push the gear selector to the left, you are in continuous manual mode.
If you leave the gear selector in the normal position, you can still shift manually using the paddle shifters, but it is what BMW calls the short-term manual mode.

Per the user manual:

Steptronic Sport transmission: prevent automatic upshifting in M/S manual mode
Depending on the motorization: if drive mode SPORT is selected, the Steptronic Sport trans‐ mission does not automatically upshift in M/
S manual mode once the maximum speed is reached.
In addition, there is no downshifting for kick‐ down.

Short-term manual mode
In selector lever position D, actuating a shift paddle switches into manual mode temporarily.
After conservative driving in manual mode without acceleration or shifting via the shift paddles for a certain amount of time, the transmission switches back to automatic mode.
It is possible to switch into automatic mode:
▷ Keep the right shift paddle pulled until D is displayed in the instrument cluster.
▷ In addition to the pulled right shift paddle, pull the left shift paddle.
Continuous manual mode
In selector lever position S, actuating a shift paddle switches into manual mode permanently.
      05-03-2024, 08:50 PM   #5
Exkryptt8
Ireland
Rep

Ahhh okay I see,that makes a lot of sense now thank you for the help.
So if I test the car tommorow in regular D without touching paddle shifters if it does the same issue would that mean that something is wrong or would it just be normal.
(Again to reiterate the issue, maybe within 5 minutes of starting the car the first time I give a decent amount of throttle from low speed the car will hang in red line for an abnormal amount of time making me brake in fear of damaging transmission)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 11:20 PM   #6
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Correct. In regular drive it should upshift normally.
      05-04-2024, 12:22 AM   #7
Exkryptt8
Ireland
Rep

Okay so update,
Drove the car in regular D, the car to what I’m aware of seemed to hang a bit too long in the gear on a maybe 95% throttle in hybrid mode, however unlike other times I decided to hold on and push down on that little blip and the car up shifted perfectly.
My thoughts are that the car purposely keeps the revs high while producing power to maybe allow that little blip to be pressed to then be in the optimal rev range for the next up shift. Would you say this is accurate or is there something wrong with my transmission. Again to summarise was driving hybrid mode maybe 5 minutes after car turning on, gave a good amount of gas the engine kicked in the revs were high and seemed unusually long however instead of breaking I floored it which caused a perfect up shift
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 01:43 AM   #8
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If I remember correctly, when in hybrid mode and you have enough battery available, the car will keep driving on battery, fully electric, until you reach 68 miles per hour. Then the petrol engine will kick in. The gauge cluster will only show engine power and no revs. (Blue color theme)
If you have battery available and are driving hybrid, and you floor it, the car petrol engine will kick in. The gauge cluster will only show engine power and no revs.(blue color theme)
If you put the car in Sport mode, and in D, the petrol engine will always run (it did on my 2021 330e). The gauge cluster will show a red color theme and will have the revs on the right hand side.

The car should behave similar to a 330i with regards to shifting. Stop/start is a lot smoother and you shouldn’t even notice it when you get going after a full stop.

Can you take a video of what you’re experiencing?
      05-07-2024, 05:01 PM   #9
Exkryptt8
Ireland
Rep

Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plimmie View Post
If I remember correctly, when in hybrid mode and you have enough battery available, the car will keep driving on battery, fully electric, until you reach 68 miles per hour. Then the petrol engine will kick in. The gauge cluster will only show engine power and no revs. (Blue color theme)
If you have battery available and are driving hybrid, and you floor it, the car petrol engine will kick in. The gauge cluster will only show engine power and no revs.(blue color theme)
If you put the car in Sport mode, and in D, the petrol engine will always run (it did on my 2021 330e). The gauge cluster will show a red color theme and will have the revs on the right hand side.

The car should behave similar to a 330i with regards to shifting. Stop/start is a lot smoother and you shouldn’t even notice it when you get going after a full stop.

Can you take a video of what you’re experiencing?
[URL="https://youtube.com/shorts/0OfKdw46OH4?si=toWOZio0BKAApcSQ"]
Prior to this video I was driving for say 4/5 minutes in hybrid mode & was driving very relaxed and light.
Until I reach the motorway which I then floored it & the engine turned on however the car didn’t not downshift and pick up how it normally does instead hung onto the same gear and shifted after maybe 6/7 seconds which to me is not normal
Let me know what you think
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 10:59 PM   #10
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I watched the video. I don’t think there is anything out of the ordinary. It behaves like my 330e used to do. You hear the rpms increase, and see the speed increase as well.
Remember the dial on the right hand side is not showing the RPM, but how much power the hybrid drive of the car is delivering (battery+fuel). The tachometer is available in the SPORT drive mode or in the M/S Sport program (which you were not in).

Btw one of the downsides of driving hybrid (on battery), and then flooring it, is that the engine is still cold!