Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Next-gen 2019 BMW 3 Series (G20) prototype breaks cover! Spyshots Compilation

Closed Thread

02-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #133
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
OLED / LASER headlight systems are reported to become available on the next 3, but still some can't see past the base model/equipment.

Didn't we see a tester running around that resembled a 2 Series GC or some smaller BMW sedan? If my recollection is accurate then a slightly larger 3 Series makes perfect sense.
      02-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #134
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
I like the TL; wife had a 2006. Always high praise for Honda engineering and style.

...However, you know very well why Acura has had to give away the farm with every TL; the car is FWD which was a really big miss calculation on the part of Honda. Plus, since the demise of the Legend (another poor decision), Acura just hasn't had the marque it once had potential to command.

Honda was always more exciting than Toyota, but due to poor management, the image conscious just don't buy Acura.

Due to the lower sales and other compromises, yes, they gave you Xenon headlights. The fact that you can't see the tradeoff correlation between coping for a cheap to develop FWD architecture with free xenons, over a preferred and expensive RWD with xenons optional, shows that your thinking may be exactly what kind of buyer Acura targets. Those who look at stylish toys over real automotive substance. A true driver's luxury car has always been RWD. At times, AWD these days is acceptable, but never, never FWD.

If my wife's old TL were RWD, I'd still own it, as everything else about that car was near perfect, still looks good too.
Very interesting point of views.
I want to add that: for the TL, which i admit is a very good FWD on its own, but Honda never intended to hav a RWD due to higher cost of development, and because they dont believe in beung able to convince the enthusiasts to move enough of their cars.

Thats why right from the get go, they developped the TL based on the Accord, right down to the car frame and sub-frame.

However excellent the Accord may be as a FWD, it will never be able to compete against the best of Germans RWD in terms of driving dynamics and enjoyment...

Thats why even if Acura and BMW competes on the "$ame" luxury ground, Honda/Acura could only and wanted only to attract the general public who is more cost conscious and wanted a trouble free with less risks, but they wouldnt be able to capture the more driver enthusiasts among us..

There is Sport Luxury (FWD) and Spory Luxury (RWD), which the general population have no idea what it is... Acura played on that... The Proof is in one of of their FWD "drift" comercials.. Lame.
You nailed it. If I could give multiple appreciations I would here.

Everything you wrote is spot on; deeper than I provided.

But... I do think that if Honda would have tried, they could have gotten some enthusiasts with RWD and if they'd had updated their trannies earlier than they did.

I love Motorsports, big Porsche fan, and F1, DTM, etc and as result have always loved Honda too.

If the changes above would have been made, I'd be in a TL over my past 3 series cars without a second thought.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #135
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's more fair to say the brand new Mini Clubman and the X1 share a corporate chassis.
I didn't just take one for a test drive and write an article about it. I owned one for 3 years.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #136
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
I didn't just take one for a test drive and write an article about it. I owned one for 3 years.
I don't understand what that has to do with the new X1.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #137
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I love the "oh shit" buttons on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 05:01 PM   #138
mynycbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 328xi M-Sport

looks like the weird "headlights meet the grille" look has gone, thank god.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #139
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynycbimmer View Post
looks like the weird "headlights meet the grille" look has gone, thank god.
Sorry, but you can't make any judgment about anything from those photos. Nothing.

They've just done the new headlight design to the new 7er. And the X5. And the X3 & X4 and X1. They're going to be on the next 5er. If you think they're going away for the next 3er I think you're going to be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #140
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

As always, it's hard to tell what it will actually look like, other than the general shape.
From this general shape it appears that BMW will stay with evolution in design, at least for the exterior. That's fine by me because I prefer seeing 8 or 10 year old BMW's, Audi's, or MB's compared to some other brands who's more daring designs help recall age rather than classic looks.

For me, I'm really looking forward to the 2 series coupe, gran-coupe/sedan, as that is the size I prefer. I'm on my third 3 series, 1-E46 and 2-F30's, and this size is a tad over the limit for how big a sport-sedan should be.
Yes the larger size of the F30 has increased BMW's 3 series sales, and it has brought customers who previously thought the 3 series was too firm and sporty to be their everyday car. The softened, tamed, and size increased basic 3 series is a sale success and those of us who have issue with what has been lost will not be heard. To BMW we are leftest agitators at a Trump rally.

Luckily, BWM hasn't dropped the 2 series, rather, they have improved it nicely.
And the M2 is garnering excellent press. Size matters, and the 2 series demonstrates that even though a larger sedan commands more attention and looks, it's the slightly smaller, more nimble, and always ready smaller coupe that can deliver as much if not more pleasure. Audi's S3 is a fantastic smaller alternative to the S4, and I prefer the S3 over the S4.

I would love to have a 2 series sedan/gran coupe with and Msport pkg.
It's going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #141
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Render for Evolution.
Attached Images

02-23-2016, 03:11 PM   #142
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Render for Evolution.
This looks like a more realistic render.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #143
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Render for Evolution.
It looks more believable but that's probably because all they did was take the F30 M Sport face and squished it a bit. C for effort.
      02-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #144
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
any words on Android auto support? I heard carplay is coming but I'm an Android guy...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:38 PM   #145
BMWSHL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i, 6MT, Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanceman View Post
Could not possibly agree more. I've had so many F3X cars for a few days at a time for various reasons (had a small warranty part not come in so got to keep it for 4 days) and then for the day here and there. it's just painfully numb, I have an E92 335is now and there is no way I'm getting rid of it nor under stating how underwhelming the F3X was to me in comparison for making me grin. Test driving a CPO '11 328i sport pack and new '15 328i sport pack back to back a while ago was staggering. The F30 was a great commuter, the E90 put a massive grin on my face. I will need to replace my current daily lease ('15 GTI) in summer 2018 and I'm really hoping the G20 out as a MY18 in 2017 will pull me in to order one.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still pick an F30 over a B8 without hesitation, I just want something that feels more alive and fun. I'm just crossing my fingers that I won't be in the very last F30 if the G20 moves back toward an E46/E90 when it comes to feedback and dynamics.
Right on. I've had the F30 as a loaner many times and everytime I'm shaking my head thinking to myself how can this be the successor to their flagship 3er? The steering is so disconnected, it literally drives like a Hyundai (not that there's anything wrong with it), but it is the 3er we're talking about. The brakes were just as bad. Not to mention the Mickey Mouse drive switches (econ, comfort, sport), really? The start/stop function is a complete joke?

If the G20 is bigger, then it will likely inherit some of these not so attractive features from the F30. Heck, they sold a ton of F30s, so they figured the formula worked. It is unforunatley to see a benchmark of its class transitioning into something that is lackluster in performance. The ethusiasts will probably have to go with the 2er to get the same drive and feel of a true ultimate driving machine. I drove the M235 the other day, and it is a ton of fun to drive. Steering is a tad light, but handles and feels like the 3er (E90 and before) if not better.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #146
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
any words on Android auto support? I heard carplay is coming but I'm an Android guy...
No way these kinds of details would be available this early...however it's almost guaranteed since they've committed to supporting both platforms on new vehicles:

http://fortune.com/2015/11/03/apple-...roid-auto-bmw/
      02-24-2016, 02:39 PM   #147
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
No way these kinds of details would be available this early...however it's almost guaranteed since they've committed to supporting both platforms on new vehicles:

http://fortune.com/2015/11/03/apple-...roid-auto-bmw/
according to this source Carply should be coming soon. I hope Android Auto is the same.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...hlight=carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #148
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

The M340i designation appears to follow the success of the M235i. However, there is another trend here. With tightening efficiency rules the number of more powerful cars built is limited by forcing buyers to take a complete performance package at a higher price. No more mushbuckets with souped up motors.
      06-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #149
rugbyfool89
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Longer and wider wheelbase, active anti-roll bars, active steering - sounds like the 3 is taking a couple more steps towards becoming the new 5 series.

I hope there's a RWD 1- or 2-series alternative for those that prefer smaller and simpler. I know that's probably wishful thinking with all the talk of FWD on the smaller platforms.

First thing I was thinking when I read "longer wheelbase" SMDH. Was really hoping BMW was done with the upsizing.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #150
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Render for Evolution.
If it has the chrome side skirt things like on the 7-series (and that render I think?), I'm out. Nothing says "I pimped my ride at Pep Boys" more than tacked-on chrome accessories.

Although I'm probably done with the 3-series regardless; I thought I was buying something sporty/engaging, but BMW boondogled me into a Buick (the 6MT is the only saving grace, and even that's rubbery). This transformation yielded massive sales numbers for BMW, so I expect they'll continue further down that road with the G20.

After hearing about the next-gen M2 Gran Coupe, I'll just drive a GTI or similar until ~2021 when that is available, provided 1) it's a hatchback like the 4GC and 2) they offer a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #151
mmzcee
Rep
Drives: Silverstone 2001 M5

why is this being tested in germany? Thought it was gonna be built in Mexico loll
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #152
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Man, oh man, can't wait
      06-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #153
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Render for Evolution.
It will hardly be thiat sleek..even in heavy camo you can see how awfully big the headlights are, even using those fake ones, you can see that the slot for the headlights might be even bigger than the current car.

Also, the front is even more "smashed", than the f30..like if a elephant sat on the front end. I hope that this is all camo doing its job, at this stage is hard to tell. Hope im wrong about those things. I like the headlights on that rendering.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #154
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
It will hardly be thiat sleek..even in heavy camo you can see how awfully big the headlights are, even using those fake ones, you can see that the slot for the headlights might be even bigger than the current car.

Also, the front is even more "smashed", than the f30..like if a elephant sat on the front end. I hope that this is all camo doing its job, at this stage is hard to tell. Hope im wrong about those things. I like the headlights on that rendering.
Its all a question of perspective.