Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions B-pillar pop/creak

02-22-2024, 01:44 PM   #23
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

I was dealing with this exact b-pillar popping/creaking noise for the longest time. Tried everything recommended on this forum none of which worked, and just about drove me crazy.

The actual cause is actually not related to any of the interior/exterior weatherstripping or trim panel pieces. The cause of the noise has to do with failed/bad spot welds that join together the metal pieces that make up the b-pillar structure. There is a TSB for the G01/G02 X3's but it seems like it also effects the G20.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=803937

As per the TSB, the proper way to repair it is to add an extra spot weld to the b pillar area. I did not have the proper tools to do this, so what I did was simply spray 3m cavity wax in between the metal layers of the B-pillar shown in the TSB. The cavity wax acts as a lubricant and prevents any noise caused by minute movement between the metal layers. It's been half a year since I did this and I have not heard any popping noises from the b-pillar area since.

Hope this helps others experiencing this problem!

Last edited by siphor1989; 02-22-2024 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 08:22 PM   #24
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by siphor1989 View Post
I was dealing with this exact b-pillar popping/creaking noise for the longest time. Tried everything recommended on this forum none of which worked, and just about drove me crazy.

The actual cause is actually not related to any of the interior/exterior weatherstripping or trim panel pieces. The cause of the noise has to do with failed/bad spot welds that join together the metal pieces that make up the b-pillar structure. There is a TSB for the G01/G02 X3's but it seems like it also effects the G20.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=803937

As per the TSB, the proper way to repair it is to add an extra spot weld to the b pillar area. I did not have the proper tools to do this, so what I did was simply spray 3m cavity wax in between the metal layers of the B-pillar shown in the TSB. The cavity wax acts as a lubricant and prevents any noise caused by minute movement between the metal layers. It's been half a year since I did this and I have not heard any popping noises from the b-pillar area since.

Hope this helps others experiencing this problem!
Did you spray in these holes? This noise has been driving me nuts for years. How much did you use? I’ve put felt tape all over and still have the noise. Hoping this fixes it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 02:40 PM   #25
siphor1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
Did you spray in these holes? This noise has been driving me nuts for years. How much did you use? I’ve put felt tape all over and still have the noise. Hoping this fixes it.
Yes, if you look into the holes towards the top, you'll see where the different layers of sheet metal come together. Spray a liberal amount of cavity wax or lubricant in between the metal. For me, this entirely got rid of the noise.
Appreciate 1
jpowers36222.50
      05-04-2024, 07:47 PM   #26
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Okay awesome, appreciate it!

I’m buying cavity wax, GummiPfleger, and more felt tape for other areas lol.
Appreciate 0