Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Rear area rattle - likely third brake light cover

05-03-2024, 04:45 AM   #1
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Rear area rattle - likely third brake light cover

That brake light cover squeaks and squeals like 30 year old beater car when I put the tiniest bit of pressure on it.
Can't be bothered with taking it to the dealer, they take forever to do anything (including giving an appointment). Tempted to pull this off myself and apply some wd40/grease. How does this part come off? Do I just pull at it or is there something I need to be aware of? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 11:28 AM   #2
Flamingi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: M550d F11, 225xe U06

Garage List
  [0.00]
To install, just reverse the order and check no clips are broken.
Don't use WD40, use silicone grease or a foam tape, depending on why exactly it's squeaking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:26 PM   #3
22Black
Private
Rep
Drives: 22’ 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarimS View Post
That brake light cover squeaks and squeals like 30 year old beater car when I put the tiniest bit of pressure on it.
Can't be bothered with taking it to the dealer, they take forever to do anything (including giving an appointment). Tempted to pull this off myself and apply some wd40/grease. How does this part come off? Do I just pull at it or is there something I need to be aware of? Thanks
I had this.

Start with the brake light cover. Take some felt and wedge it in between the plastic and glass to keep it firm.

In my case I had to remove the rear deck and had to add felt anywhere plastic and metal touched. It was a pain in the ass. You can do it!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 06:43 PM   #4
Plimmie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
I had this in my previous car. However it turned out to be related to the seal on the sunroof. After applying some Gummy Pflege to the seal of the sunroof the squeak was gone. it turned out that while driving it sounded like it was coming from behind me in the area of the brake light. I even had someone sit in the back of the car and when they applied pressure to the headliner and brake light, the squeak/rattle would be gone.
Try the gummy pflege on the sunroof seal. It might be what you're hearing, and it is very easy to do. Nothing to lose. I'm curious if it is also your car's issue.
      05-05-2024, 10:07 AM   #5
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Black View Post
I had this.

Start with the brake light cover. Take some felt and wedge it in between the plastic and glass to keep it firm.

In my case I had to remove the rear deck and had to add felt anywhere plastic and metal touched. It was a pain in the ass. You can do it!
Took it off earlier, added a couple of layers of tape and sprayed a bit of wd40. Drove it 35 miles and it's quiet as a mouse now, hope it lasts. It's kind of incredible how much noise that little part was making, it was unbearable
Appreciate 1
Plimmie93.00