Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340d - Decisions, Decisions

05-09-2024, 01:21 AM   #1
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 320d X-Drive Touring

M340d - Decisions, Decisions

I have managed to locate a brand new Black Sapphire M340d with tech and comfort plus with sunroof - with 15% discount.

I’m about to become a father in August and cover roughly 5000 miles per year.

With the upcoming LCI2 on the M340i, what are you opinions on whether I should wait or go for it on the diesel?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 04:04 AM   #2
HeebieJeebies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

You’ll probably not save on fuel with the low mileage you’ve asserted to. You’ll get the same great benefits of your G21 320d xdrive for all things associated with becoming a new dad, the plethora of ‘stuff’ that seems to be required now is mind boggling, so an estate is ideal.

You’ll get the bonus of the extra ‘oomph’ for dad kicks, but I would think that the 340i would be much better suited, only really because of your mileage. In saying that, my driving needs are very much low mileage but I’d have either of the options.

What’s wrong with your current 320? Keep that for dad duties and get an M4 for ‘other’ stuff
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:56 AM   #3
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
You’ll probably not save on fuel with the low mileage you’ve asserted to. You’ll get the same great benefits of your G21 320d xdrive for all things associated with becoming a new dad, the plethora of ‘stuff’ that seems to be required now is mind boggling, so an estate is ideal.

You’ll get the bonus of the extra ‘oomph’ for dad kicks, but I would think that the 340i would be much better suited, only really because of your mileage. In saying that, my driving needs are very much low mileage but I’d have either of the options.

What’s wrong with your current 320? Keep that for dad duties and get an M4 for ‘other’ stuff

Alas the 320d XD was parted with a few years back to be replaced with an A4 avant. I miss the BMW and feel a return is needed but a “difference” in terms of engine and excitement.

The quote for the M340d is circa £58k and it is mighty tempting even with the lci2 pending and the discontinuation of the diesel causing worry on residuals.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:09 AM   #4
HeebieJeebies
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

Ah! I wouldn’t worry too much about residuals, diesels will be around and still popular for a fair few years. The UK lags so far behind in the EV infrastructure I reckon it’ll take 15years to be half decent.

You’re new child will be going to university before diesels are anywhere near unsellable

If it’s a gut, emotional type thing, just go for it IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:42 AM   #5
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
Ah! I wouldn’t worry too much about residuals, diesels will be around and still popular for a fair few years. The UK lags so far behind in the EV infrastructure I reckon it’ll take 15years to be half decent.

You’re new child will be going to university before diesels are anywhere near unsellable

If it’s a gut, emotional type thing, just go for it IMO
Sounds good enough to me and my child will fully appreciate a straight line 6 diesel while they’re here! Thanks for your advice!
Appreciate 1
V330d28.50
      05-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #6
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Just do it! Life's all about owning things that give us pleasure!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2024, 03:15 PM   #7
Nham68
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

How long is your average journey ?
I had an S5 diesel (350bhp monster. Not unlike 340d). I averaged 33 mpg as my driving was mostly short trips with 1-2 motorway trips a month .

I’m 2 months into my m340i LCI. Already , my average is higher than the diesel S5. If you’re doing few long trips , 340d is perfect. If it’s a lot of short-medium .. I’d go with petrol .
Plus , your car won’t stink of diesel after every fill up ( a few drops ont he shoes and uurrgghhh)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 04:58 PM   #8
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nham68 View Post
How long is your average journey ?
I had an S5 diesel (350bhp monster. Not unlike 340d). I averaged 33 mpg as my driving was mostly short trips with 1-2 motorway trips a month .

I’m 2 months into my m340i LCI. Already , my average is higher than the diesel S5. If you’re doing few long trips , 340d is perfect. If it’s a lot of short-medium .. I’d go with petrol .
Plus , your car won’t stink of diesel after every fill up ( a few drops ont he shoes and uurrgghhh)
Roughly 20/30 per day on motorway miles. The M340i is mighty tempting but I think with the LCI on the horizon, I think gambling on the diesel’s last hurrah may be the call.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 05:11 PM   #9
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

According to this thread the LCI will be some cosmetic changes / options e.g. you will apparently be able to order light up kidney grilles if you’d like it to look like you’re driving up and down a 1980s high street in a blinged-up Nova. Apparently the slightly revised B58 engine with a MHT system with a bit more power that is integrated with the gearbox is only destined for USA and Korea at the moment… Given that I wouldn’t worry about the LCI 2, just buy what you like best.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2024, 02:12 AM   #10
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
According to this thread the LCI will be some cosmetic changes / options e.g. you will apparently be able to order light up kidney grilles if you’d like it to look like you’re driving up and down a 1980s high street in a blinged-up Nova. Apparently the slightly revised B58 engine with a MHT system with a bit more power that is integrated with the gearbox is only destined for USA and Korea at the moment… Given that I wouldn’t worry about the LCI 2, just buy what you like best.
This is reassuring cosmetically as the feeling of seeing something that did look different on the road would be disappointing. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 02:55 AM   #11
Chris93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340d

If I were you I would go for it. If you use the LCI of the 4 series as an example the price has gone up massively and things such as adaptive dampers, 19 inch wheels, leather, sensatec dashboard have all become cost options even on the M40 models. The LCI2 of the 3 will definitely see a price increase and less standard kit.

Also the M40d is a superb engine and wont be available with the LCI2 anyway

Build thread - https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029191
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:24 AM   #12
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris93 View Post
If I were you I would go for it. If you use the LCI of the 4 series as an example the price has gone up massively and things such as adaptive dampers, 19 inch wheels, leather, sensatec dashboard have all become cost options even on the M40 models. The LCI2 of the 3 will definitely see a price increase and less standard kit.

Also the M40d is a superb engine and wont be available with the LCI2 anyway
Ahh I wasn’t aware of that with the 4 series. Good to know as I know these price hikes like to appear as if by magic!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:39 AM   #13
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathymes View Post
Ahh I wasn’t aware of that with the 4 series. Good to know as I know these price hikes like to appear as if by magic!
Chris93 is definitely right in what he's posted above. I've got a 72 Plate M440i and out of pure curiosity looked at the LCI on the configurator and the only real visible difference is the rear light clusters now with laser technology apparently which I'm assuming will only really noticeable when lit? So what's the point?

As for what used to be standard spec that now isn't, well that's a joke and has made the price difference between my 20 months old car to a new one about £10K
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:51 AM   #14
Chris93
Private First Class
Rep

Yep, sneaky germans! They also seem to remove content with each LCI now, so the Ambient lighting across the dash is only in the centre air vent now in a tiny strip, all the door Lower ambient lighting is gone, the Leather airbag cover is gone as are the chrome bits around the door lock switch and the electric seat buttons are now plastic too! Pre 23 plate is the way to go before they got rid of a lot of this imo

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:52 AM   #15
Chris93
Private First Class
Rep

I have spent the last 12 months putting back in all the things they removed pretty much haha

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029191

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:57 AM   #16
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yep, sneaky germans! They also seem to remove content with each LCI now, so the Ambient lighting across the dash is only in the centre air vent now in a tiny strip, all the door Lower ambient lighting is gone, the Leather airbag cover is gone as are the chrome bits around the door lock switch and the electric seat buttons are now plastic too! Pre 23 plate is the way to go before they got rid of a lot of this imo
I know, crap isn't it?
I switched out a 21 plate M440i for my current car and so pleased I did.
Long story short at the time I couldn't get the spec on the 21 plate car and only just managed to get a build slot anyway plus the factory paint finish wasn't good at all on the car. So after much deliberation 'bit the bullet' and got the current one which in turn was the last available build slot for Q3 or Q4 that the dealer had left.

So OP, that brand new one you've got your eye on is most definitely worth snapping up!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:58 AM   #17
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Chris93 is definitely right in what he's posted above. I've got a 72 Plate M440i and out of pure curiosity looked at the LCI on the configurator and the only real visible difference is the rear light clusters now with laser technology apparently which I'm assuming will only really noticeable when lit? So what's the point?

As for what used to be standard spec that now isn't, well that's a joke and has made the price difference between my 20 months old car to a new one about £10K
£10k?!? How can they possibly justify that?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 04:59 AM   #18
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I have spent the last 12 months putting back in all the things they removed pretty much haha

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029191
I saw this! Excellent work!
Where did you get the metal plate for the switches on the door? Were they easy to install?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 05:00 AM   #19
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I know, crap isn't it?
I switched out a 21 plate M440i for my current car and so pleased I did.
Long story short at the time I couldn't get the spec on the 21 plate car and only just managed to get a build slot anyway plus the factory paint finish wasn't good at all on the car. So after much deliberation 'bit the bullet' and got the current one which in turn was the last available build slot for Q3 or Q4 that the dealer had left.

So OP, that brand new one you've got your eye on is most definitely worth snapping up!
Thanks so much - the finger is very much on the trigger today I reckon!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 06:20 AM   #20
Chris93
Private First Class
Rep

I got them all off Ebay one by one took a while as they are only on High spec X3's in the UK and the 7 series one doesnt quite fit right, pretty easy to install yes just 2 screws out door card off and then change the switch unit.

I will have a set for sale very soon actually as I have bought some door cards that have them in. DM me if you are interested

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 08:15 AM   #21
Dathymes
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
I got them all off Ebay one by one took a while as they are only on High spec X3's in the UK and the 7 series one doesnt quite fit right, pretty easy to install yes just 2 screws out door card off and then change the switch unit.

I will have a set for sale very soon actually as I have bought some door cards that have them in. DM me if you are interested
I’ll certainly keep that in mind. Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:10 AM   #22
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathymes View Post
£10k?!? How can they possibly justify that?
They can’t afford to in my opinion!….but’s that their Teutonic arrogance! Still been with them now for forty-two years and even done contract driving for them over the years….they’ve never changed!
Appreciate 1