Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Full Range of G20 3 Series Models Revealed With Power, Transmissions, Drivetrain

03-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #177
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackrite View Post
Thank you! Love your insight.

That would be the first appearance of a true LSD on an AWD, non-M car, from the factory, yes?
Can't talk about history, but the answer is still no even with the current models because G05 and G14/G15 will be released before G20.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #178
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Quote:

That would be the first appearance of a true LSD on an AWD, non-M car, from the factory, yes?
Can't talk about history, but the answer is still no even with the current models because G05 and G14/G15 will be released before G20.
10-4! Thanks again.

So new X5 and new 8 Series may also feature such tech? Safe to assume in their respective M50i iterations?!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #179
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
So new X5 and new 8 Series may also feature such tech? Safe to assume in their respective M50i iterations?!
Yes on M850i. As for X5, there's no X5 M50i, just regular gas models that will have M Sport kit optional, and the non-US M50d that will have the same parts standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #180
Ackrite
The Wizard
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Quote:
Yes on M850i. As for X5, there's no X5 M50i, just regular gas models that will have M Sport kit optional, and the non-US M50d that will have the same parts standard.
to the Oracle!
'00 e46 323i *retired*
'84 e23 733i *retired*
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #181
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

Quote:

E30 IX models of the 80s had lsd I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #182
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Interesting information on what BMW has decided to offer with the new G20.
I'm glad this information came out now as my current 340i Msport lease is up early Sept. 2018.

My greatest hope was to hear that BMW will have a new small sport sedan using the 2 series platform ready by then.
But it looks like that won't happen.

I really like the 2.0 turbo that BMW has. It's a sweet engine.
Still, I love and want the buttery inline-6 that I've grown accustomed to.
Well, it looks like I can't have that engine either in the configuration I would pay for.

I'm fine with AT, as I've really liked and enjoyed the ZF 8spd in both of my F30's 335i and 340i.
Before that I've been an MT lover and driver, and still would be if my spine condition wasn't very bothered by the constant slight rotation caused by using my left leg to operate the clutch.

The thing has me almost leaving the new 3 series is BMW's decision to offer the inline-6 engine with AWD only.
I still want to drive the new 3 with the AWD, but I still prefer RWD, even in the cold and sometimes very snowy Chicago land area.
I've done just fine with RWD since I started driving in 1980.
I do not need AWD to get around in the winter, and I have proven that easily.

If I want a new 3 with RWD, then I have to take the 330, which I'm sure will be a great sport sedan. But, I still can't get over that very slight vibration that nearly all 4 inline-4s make, including BMW's.

The 340i with only AWD will likely push the price of that new model much higher than what my F30 340i Msport cost. My config was about $52K as I don't need nor want too many techno-lux items, and I very much dislike being pushed into getting packages at higher prices just to get a single item I do want.

I hope the reality of the new 3 and its pricing changes favorably.
However, I think that BMW may have lost another long time customer with their current decisions.
Even the sweet M240i is priced pretty much the same as a 340i Msport, and to me that should not be.
I just built an M240i with the same options and items that I have in my 340i Msport and the MSRP is $52,624.
The 340i Msport MSRP is $55,500.
I had to add the 4/50K maintenance cost as my 340i came with it included.

Building a new 340i Msport exactly as my 2016 is about the same MSRP at $55,600 for a new 340i Msport.
A new 340Xi Msport with same options as mine has an MSRP of $54,600.
With X-AWD being standard in the new G20, and being a whole new sedan altogether, the MSRP will likely be at least upper-mid $50s before any basic options are added like leather seats.
Nearly $60K for an inline-6 3 series with just leather and a few options?
No thanks.

That's my opinion.
Feel free to use my thoughts and opinions as your own.

Last edited by RPM90; 03-08-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #183
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Interesting information on what BMW has decided to offer with the new G20.
I'm glad this information came out now as my current 340i Msport lease is up early Sept. 2018.

My greatest hope was to hear that BMW will have a new small sport sedan using the 2 series platform ready by then.
But it looks like that won't happen.

I really like the 2.0 turbo that BMW has. It's a sweet engine.
Still, I love and want the buttery inline-6 that I've grown accustomed to.
Well, it looks like I can't have that engine either in the configuration I would pay for.

I'm fine with AT, as I've really liked and enjoyed the ZF 8spd in both of my F30's 335i and 340i.
Before that I've been an MT lover and driver, and still would be if my spine condition wasn't very bothered by the constant slight rotation caused by using my left leg to operate the clutch.

The thing has me almost leaving the new 3 series is BMW's decision to offer the inline-6 engine with AWD only.
I still want to drive the new 3 with the AWD, but I still prefer RWD, even in the cold and sometimes very snowy Chicago land area.
I've done just fine with RWD since I started driving in 1980.
I do not need AWD to get around in the winter, and I have proven that easily.

If I want a new 3 with RWD, then I have to take the 330, which I'm sure will be a great sport sedan. But, I still can't get over that very slight vibration that nearly all 4 inline-4s make, including BMW's.

The 340i with only AWD will likely push the price of that new model much higher than what my F30 340i Msport cost. My config was about $52K as I don't need nor want too many techno-lux items, and I very much dislike being pushed into getting packages at higher prices just to get a single item I do want.

I hope the reality of the new 3 and its pricing changes favorably.
However, I think that BMW may have lost another long time customer with their current decisions.
Even the sweet M240i is priced pretty much the same as a 340i Msport, and to me that should not be.
I just built an M240i with the same options and items that I have in my 340i Msport and the MSRP is $52,624.
The 340i Msport MSRP is $55,500.
I had to add the 4/50K maintenance cost as my 340i came with it included.

Building a new 340i Msport exactly as my 2016 is about the same MSRP at $55,600 for a new 340i Msport.
A new 340Xi Msport with same options as mine has an MSRP of $54,600.
With X-AWD being standard in the new G20, and being a whole new sedan altogether, the MSRP will likely be at least upper-mid $50s before any basic options are added like leather seats.
Nearly $60K for an inline-6 3 series with just leather and a few options?
No thanks.

That's my opinion.
Feel free to use my thoughts and opinions as your own.
Just finished reading the recent Road & Track review of the new M5. Wow...I'm lusting. If the AWD in the M340i is like the AWD in the M5, I don't think you'd be disappointed. But...this new AWD system might be reserved for the new M3. Anyone have more info on the M340i AWD?

Also have same concerns on price. Thinking about a '18 340i with MPPSK. I gotta have the adjustable LED headlights, as it's very dark in the rural area where I live, plus my eyes are getting older. So must have Exec package. This puts the RWD price with MPPSK over $60k. I'd guess the M340i similarly equipped (but with AWD) will be north of $64k. Not sure I'm willing to do that for a heavier & larger car (even if it's only a little bit).
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #184
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
A Hue and Cry

If I read the first post and other reports I have seen across the web, if I want to to have a manual transmission in a 2019 3 series, I have to go to a 316 like (2.0L with about 150hp).

I had to order and wait 2 months for my 2014 328 (F30) because it has manual transmission. It seems to me that those of us, who still prefer to use three pedals and shift gears ourselves, ought to be offered the opportunity to do so for 2019 3-series, after all they are still called the "ultimate driving machines". I would really like to be able to get a manual transmission in either 2.0L with 250+hp or a 3.0L with 300+hp

What I do not understand is why BMW North America is moving away from manual, when as best I can tell, you can still get manual on almost all 3 series models in Europe -- and what the big deal to them is, particularly, if you have to special order.

Let's hope car sense and not car cents prevail!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #185
soons50
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M(azda)3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
If I read the first post and other reports I have seen across the web, if I want to to have a manual transmission in a 2019 3 series, I have to go to a 316 like (2.0L with about 150hp).

I had to order and wait 2 months for my 2014 328 (F30) because it has manual transmission. It seems to me that those of us, who still prefer to use three pedals and shift gears ourselves, ought to be offered the opportunity to do so for 2019 3-series, after all they are still called the "ultimate driving machines". I would really like to be able to get a manual transmission in either 2.0L with 250+hp or a 3.0L with 300+hp

What I do not understand is why BMW North America is moving away from manual, when as best I can tell, you can still get manual on almost all 3 series models in Europe -- and what the big deal to them is, particularly, if you have to special order.

I totally agree with you.

Even Audi offers a manual transmission in its A4 TFSI since MY2017, if I remember correctly. I really don't understand why BMW wouldn't offer one in North America...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 12:07 PM   #186
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soons50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post

I totally agree with you.

Even Audi offers a manual transmission in its A4 TFSI since MY2017, if I remember correctly. I really don't understand why BMW wouldn't offer one in North America...
Hint: Electric drive.
      04-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #187
chester22
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i

This has to be fake. Not buying the lack of RWD and manuals.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:14 AM   #188
Tameautumn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M-Sport (VDC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_F36 View Post
M340 Xdrive for me!!!
Think it is likely true as manual is not a efficient or effective as the smooth auto. PLus Auto still allows fun. Also on xDrive since it has a RWD bias, I really can't see the issue people are having with this. M340i looks ideal in Estate form for me ... but I am knocking on 40 years old, so maybe age is showing nowadays :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #189
Rogue-OP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: to Drum & Bass

Number of manual RWD high horse-powered models = 0... fuuuuuuuuuu

Is it so hard to give people these options?

Here's to hoping this list isn't accurate...
Appreciate 2
      04-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #190
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I bet it's accurate. The question now is whether to just buy a late model F30 340i 6MT and throw on the MPPSK or risk it and see if BMW makes the new M3 with a manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #191
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

When will it actually be unveiled? I've heard the 8-series and new X5 will be unveiled within the next couple months, but haven't heard anything about this.

It's sad how neglected the 3-series has become. The F30 was already a lazy effort to begin with, and here we are nearly 7 yrs later still without a redesign.

The X3 got a faster redesign and the F15 will only last 5 yrs when its all said and done. BMW just cares about SUVs
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #192
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
When will it actually be unveiled? I've heard the 8-series and new X5 will be unveiled within the next couple months, but haven't heard anything about this.

It's sad how neglected the 3-series has become. The F30 was already a lazy effort to begin with, and here we are nearly 7 yrs later still without a redesign.

The X3 got a faster redesign and the F15 will only last 5 yrs when its all said and done. BMW just cares about SUVs
The auto industry as a whole, mainly in the N. American market, has been reaping a mass move of buyers towards SUVs and SAVs.
So, it makes sense for auto makers to cater to that market if they want market share and profit.

Yes, that sucks for sedan, coupe, and wagon/sport wagon drivers.
However, those SUV and SAV sales allow many manufactures to continue to develop and build halo cars and daily sedans and coupes.
Non SUVs won't be abandoned because mass market car/auto desires change as there are trends.

The past few years we've seen relatively low gas prices in the US and that let crazed mass buyers think that they could and should now get bigger vehicles that sit higher. And with the advent of the smaller SUV/SAV based on compact chassis the market took off.

The problem? Gas prices have been somewhat sharply on the rise over the past few months. We're once again nearing $3 per gallon for 87 octane regular in the US. Premium gas prices have skyrocketed as it is no longer just 10 to 15 cents more to go from regular 87 to 91/93 octane. To move to "premium" higher octane gas the price difference is now .60 cents. That's a massive increase that occurred at least nearly 2 years ago. I've commented about it on different forums as I think the price increase for premium is a money grab from gas makers. With the advent of turbo engines there are a number of cars and SUVs' and SAV's that either require premium or are stated to perform better/deliver more power when using premium. The market took advantage and increased the price differential to reap the benefit of the newer turbo
technology that is now pervasive in the market.

My point is that once the $3 per gallon of regular threshold is reached, buyers will start once again looking at better MPG vehicles. That will prompt a move back towards lighter and more fuel efficient sedans, coupes, hatchbacks, and even wagons. More mass equals less fuel efficiency which means more money paid for fuel. Even with small compact SAV's/SUVs their equivalent compact chassis sedan or coupe will still give better MPG due to lighter weight, better aerodynamics, and not AWD as is also a trend.
Gas prices are also a driving factor in automobile choice trends.

Sedans and coupes are not going away, and the rest of world outside of the large areas of N. America are not so in love with large SUVs.
Time well tell.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-20-2018 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9702.50
      04-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #193
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The auto industry as a whole, mainly in the N. American market, has been reaping a mass move of buyers towards SUVs and SAVs.
So, it makes sense for auto makers to cater to that market if they want market share and profit.

Yes, that sucks for sedan, coupe, and wagon/sport wagon drivers.
However, those SUV and SAV sales allow many manufactures to continue to develop and build halo cars and daily sedans and coupes.
Non SUVs won't be abandoned because mass market car/auto desires change as there are trends.

The past few years we've seen relatively low gas prices in the US and that let crazed mass buyers think that they could and should now get bigger vehicles that sit higher. And with the advent of the smaller SUV/SAV based on compact chassis the market took off.

The problem? Gas prices have been somewhat sharply on the rise over the past few months. We're once again nearing $3 per gallon for 87 octane regular in the US. Premium gas prices have skyrocketed as it is no longer just 10 to 15 cents more to go from regular 87 to 91/93 octane. To move to "premium" higher octane gas the price difference is now .60 cents. That's a massive increase that occurred at least nearly 2 years ago. I've commented about it on different forums as I think the price increase for premium is a money grab from gas makers. With the advent of turbo engines there are a number of cars and SUVs' and SAV's that either require premium or are stated to perform better/deliver more power when using premium. The market took advantage and increased the price differential to reap the benefit of the newer tube technology that is now pervasive in the market.

My point is that once the $3 per gallon of regular threshold is reached, buyers will start once again looking at better MPG vehicles. That will prompt a move back towards lighter and more fuel efficient sedans, coupes, hatchbacks, and even wagons. More mass equals less fuel efficiency which means more money paid for fuel. Even with small compact SAV's/SUVs their equivalent compact chassis sedan or coupe will still give better MPG due to lighter weight, better aerodynamics, and not AWD as is also a trend.
Gas prices are also a driving factor in automobile choice trends.

Sedans and coupes are not going away, and the rest of world outside of the large areas of N. America are not so in love with large SUVs.
Time well tell.
Yup to all this.

Still, it's just sad how the staple of the entire BMW brand has been thrown to the side due to the CUV craze.
Appreciate 1
RPM90889.50
      04-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #194
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnough007 View Post
Not sure you can even order the f30 anymore. I put an order in on one back in December and we still have not received the build number. This means the December incentives will be expired before it comes time to do paperwork.

Without an LSD, the torque numbers in the current 340 already make the power somewhat useless in the rain, cold, snow, or anything else that isn't perfectly clear and hot pavement. With run flat tires, you are not going to be using much of that power in most conditions. Adding nearly 20% more power with less weight would only make this more apparent. AWD is essentially becoming required to be able to actually maximize the use of power. If there is little weight impact and there is an option to send 100% power to the rear wheels, there really is not much to complain about here.

Manual is going the way of non-assisted steering racks. Everyone complained about the boosted racks back in the day and now nobody wants to bother with that. Once again, added power and lower weight make it harder for humans to keep up with the capability. The gap continues to grow.
As a current owner of an F80 M3, traction is useless in that car as well. I even bumped up to 295 rears and it doesn't matter. Even if you can manage to launch with careful throttle you can't go full throttle until a second or so AFTER your shift to second (fast shift into 2nd and full throttle spins the tires). So yes, AWD is becoming more necessary unless they dial the boost down at lower rpm.

I owned an F30 335 xdrive 6MT prior to the M3 and drop clutch launches were great but after that it wasn't so quick.

In any case, off topic, but not sure if you've driven the M3 you ordered but traction is terrible. I plan on taking it to the drag strip this summer but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm in the 13's due to terrible launching.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #195
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
No Manual Transmissions is a Travesty!

Well, I got my current car by having to special order it because of manual transmission; I am willing to accept that as there are not many of us who still really enjoy driving with one.

Now everything I have read say that the 328/330 equivalent (with 2.0L engine) or the 335/340 (with 3.0L engine) will only have automatic trans.

I get it that most folks don't drive manual, but why eliminate that option all together and not even have special offer as the only way.
* Could it be for part stockage? I think not since the manual is offered elsewhere and what with the worldwide logistics systems, that is not a very sound reason
* Could it be for mechanic training? Again, I think not. What with the internet and BMW's worldwide automation systems, maintenance folks have access to most current information & training.
* Could it be that BMW has to provide EPA test results for every engine trans combination? Aah, there is no way around this one.

So, it seems that for the minimal expense of conducting EPA testing for the combinations of manual transmission and the two engines (2.0L & 3.0L), BMW is paying lip service to its own motto of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

What a blessed Travesty!!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #196
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 Carrera S (sold the M2)

3 series grown too big anyway. Like old 5 series now!

That's why I got an M2 last year with a manual.

My e90 335i manual was very fun. Especially after the tune.
My 435i GC was a little fun. Tune made it quicker, but too soft and big a car.
My current manual M2 is AMAZINGLY fun! And not even tuned, yet.
      05-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #197
Alexis@psi
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL View Post
The future is awful. Manual transmission will be dead and so will the joy of driving. This sucks.
Seriously, I thoroughly love my manual car, even as a daily driver... Makes me sad to see the love and want slowly diminish.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #198
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Not sure if anyone else caught the UPDATE in the upcoming models thread from our hero oracle "ynguldyn" but looks like RWD M340 is going to come to the US...
And power keeps going up with the leaks now 385hp!

Personally I am curious if RWD will even be worth it as all the chassis dev is going to be optimized around the AWD setup...
Appreciate 0