Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Dealership CRASHES NEW 2023 m340i [HELP!]

03-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #67
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhock_holiday View Post
we have tons of potholes here.
In Texas??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 10:18 PM   #68
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
In Texas??

Come on down to Houston and drive down Westheimer, or Kirkwood or just about anywhere in the city. Its better than going to a chiropractor
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2023, 06:18 PM   #69
MrMegambo
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i 2023

Update**
Ok so I did end up sending the video to the genius I spoke to at the dealership to tell him I found the video, and I hoped it would make it up to the service manager and it did. The manager called me out of the blue to tell me he saw the video and he apologizes for what had happened. He also stated that the valet did not tell him the truth about what happened in the video, and that the valet would be reprimanded for lying. Now that wasn’t my intention I truly feel bad for the valet however if he did lie it’s on him and he did drive into a wall which wouldn’t be possible unless you were distracted. The manager expressly asked me to not share the video online or with anyone, I told him I understand and if everything it done right with me I will not.

Right now the cars at the body shop I was peaking everyday looking at the mybmw app to see what they were doing, the hood was open so I’m guessing they are working on the repairs and the headlight unit warning is up so I guess they have removed the headlight and are working on that.
Appreciate 1
EXE462103.00
      03-26-2023, 08:33 PM   #70
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Maybe ask them to throw in an extended warranty until 100k or something. Doesn't cost them nearly as much as it costs you, and they keep you happy. Worth asking. The worst they say is no and they counter
Appreciate 1
GDIV4.50
      03-26-2023, 11:33 PM   #71
MrMegambo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Maybe ask them to throw in an extended warranty until 100k or something. Doesn't cost them nearly as much as it costs you, and they keep you happy. Worth asking. The worst they say is no and they counter
Will ask!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:55 AM   #72
RCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

The accident will depreciate the value of the car, if you want to sell it or trade it in. Will be on the service record for BMW and the dealer.

Consider asking for extra warranty or service plan as compensation for the now lower value car.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 12:52 PM   #73
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Yikes I just spec'd the adaptive suspension, we have tons of potholes here. Hopefully the system is not too delicate.
Coming from someone with ADAPTIVE: I don’t think it will make that BIG of a difference on potholes. The ride is not as complaint and can be harsh depending on the nature of the pothole even while driving in COMFORT.

I thought this was a problem with my car because of the wide range of opinions about this feature discussed in several threads/posts. But I recently test drove 2 CPO G20s (optioned with ADAPTIVE) each at a different dealership about a week ago and the results were the same over the same pothole-ridden road. One had a staggered setup; the other square setup. Made no difference.

Not trying to discourage you but just putting it out there so you tamper your expectations if you haven’t already test driven one.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 12:58 PM   #74
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMegambo View Post
Update**
Ok so I did end up sending the video to the genius I spoke to at the dealership to tell him I found the video, and I hoped it would make it up to the service manager and it did. The manager called me out of the blue to tell me he saw the video and he apologizes for what had happened. He also stated that the valet did not tell him the truth about what happened in the video, and that the valet would be reprimanded for lying. Now that wasn’t my intention I truly feel bad for the valet however if he did lie it’s on him and he did drive into a wall which wouldn’t be possible unless you were distracted. The manager expressly asked me to not share the video online or with anyone, I told him I understand and if everything it done right with me I will not.

Right now the cars at the body shop I was peaking everyday looking at the mybmw app to see what they were doing, the hood was open so I’m guessing they are working on the repairs and the headlight unit warning is up so I guess they have removed the headlight and are working on that.
Sounds like a coverup. Did they ever give you a loaner car?
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i145.50
      03-27-2023, 02:07 PM   #75
Dairdevyld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I was a litigator for 30 years and getting lawyer involved is the last thing you want to do. Just forget that. The issue is mostly being resolved. What you really need is a car to drive for a couple weeks. I would say "look, I understand you have a policy about not giving loaners to people my age, but you normally provide loaners as a courtesy. But this is not my fault that I have no car, it's your fault. And not only that, but you deleted files from my property to hide how it occurred and lied about it. But I just need a car to drive, so tell me how we are going to resolve that." Note how I phrased that last sentence. You didn't ask for a loaner, you put it on him to say something more than "no."
I guess... but what if he has ongoing issues beyond their initial repair? I think it's always good to CYA in case they come back and say a future problem is because of you instead of because of a lingering issue. Accountability is a major hallmark of a strong relationship. I don't think there's anything wrong with ensuring that they maximize their accountability for future/prolonged problems. I get dodging the lawyers and such, but you always want some documentation of what happened and what they've promised and delivered. If they cut corners on the repair, which the OP seems to be weary of due to who is doing the bodywork, you don't want to be on the hook for it falling apart.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:02 PM   #76
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Yah the dealer is only obligated to fix your car to its original condition, which i think they are going to.

As far as diminished value, who is going to report to carfax? the dealer? We all know the answer to that. So that is an non-issue. The damages look bad to us, but objectively speaking, it is just some minor fender bender. A new bumper, a few clips and a new headlight.

If the dealer is going to fix everything, and it seems they are also throwing some extra (like fixing the suspension damage from hitting the pothole), what is the point contacting insurance? Why open a can of worms if you dont have to.

As far as loaner, if it is their policy not to give loaners to people under certain age, then that is valid. If i recall correctly, i couldn't even rent cars from most of the rental agency until i turned 25.

But do talk to the Service Manager, what can they do about that? you dont have a car to go to school or other places due to their fault and you understand their policy, but why do you have to suffer this due to his people's fault?

If it makes you feel any better, my dealer scratched and put a hole in my front bumper with a curb about 3 months ago when i brought it in for oil change and some other misc things. But i never get to see the damage since they never sent me any pictures. I did ask for it tho.

They fixed it at their independent shop (took 1 month total to paint a freaking bumper). They threw in the full AC service for free (My AC was smelling like shit) and they filled up my gas tank.

To me that was reasonable enough.

I am old enough to have loaner and I always make my appointment with a loaner. I guess that is the main difference and it is something you should talk to the Service manager about because it is affecting your daily life. Unless of course you have another car, then it is really not an issue either.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-27-2023 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #77
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairdevyld View Post
I guess... but what if he has ongoing issues beyond their initial repair? I think it's always good to CYA in case they come back and say a future problem is because of you instead of because of a lingering issue. Accountability is a major hallmark of a strong relationship. I don't think there's anything wrong with ensuring that they maximize their accountability for future/prolonged problems. I get dodging the lawyers and such, but you always want some documentation of what happened and what they've promised and delivered. If they cut corners on the repair, which the OP seems to be weary of due to who is doing the bodywork, you don't want to be on the hook for it falling apart.
I think they already said they will document everything they repair. Those should be listed on the invoice receipt when he picks up the car.

OP just needs to make sure to inspect the car thoroughly when he picks up the car, especially the headlight. He needs to make sure the light beam will align correctly. TBH, that is the only real concern i have base on the pictures i saw. Everything else was just cosmetic. The bigger problem is how will the car drive after hitting a pothole like that.... That is a much more annoying thing to deal than some scratched bumper and headlight.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-27-2023 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 07:45 PM   #78
MrMegambo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
Sounds like a coverup. Did they ever give you a loaner car?
Nope i didn't ask again because i do have an extra car to drive around tbh.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:47 PM   #79
MrMegambo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
I think they already said they will document everything they repair. Those should be listed on the invoice receipt when he picks up the car.

OP just needs to make sure to inspect the car thoroughly when he picks up the car, especially the headlight. He needs to make sure the light beam will align correctly. TBH, that is the only real concern i have base on the pictures i saw. Everything else was just cosmetic. The bigger problem is how will the car drive after hitting a pothole like that.... That is a much more annoying thing to deal than some scratched bumper and headlight.
This is on point, they told me they aligned the car twice and that it drives "perfect". Let's see how that goes. Right now they are waiting on the headlight i guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 05:57 AM   #80
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
To somewhat ease your worries, I rearended a woman in my x2 m35i and while the damage looked pretty superficial it ended up being almost 10k. Front bumper, crash bar, grille, intercooler, oil coolers, radiator etc...

It was done by a Toyota dealership that BMW uses for its major repairs here and they did an impeccable job. You could not tell it was ever in a wreck and it drove perfect. I was worried about shock to the driveshaft but it never presented as a problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:14 PM   #81
Jsun21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3, BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod328430 View Post
Because his CarFax report will have an accident on it, resale will go down.
Not necessarily. Sometimes dealer will pay cash, and it won’t show up on carfax. If the dealer does decide to use their insurance, then it will show up on your carfax report. My girlfriend’s a4 also got damaged at the dealer. When we picked up the car from service we noticed that there were deep scrapes in the rear bumper. Seems like someone backed into something and damaged the rear bumper. Audi dealer was all “we didn’t do it”, when I first showed the service advisor. But they said they will review their security cameras to confirm if anything did happen. Couple days later I got a call and the service advisor said to drop the car off again and they will respray the rear bumper for free. They didn’t admit to finding anything, but I assumed they found evidence of the impact. Hope you resolve this issue fast! Dealer should at least provide you a rental car from a third party like enterprise or hertz!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:13 PM   #82
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is on point, they told me they aligned the car twice and that it drives "perfect". Let's see how that goes. Right now they are waiting on the headlight i guess.

Check for vibrations from your steering wheel and your butt when you get your car.

Ask them to check to make sure the wheel is not bent or cracked.

I am very skeptical when the tire was blown and the arm was bent and yet the wheel had no damage?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:15 PM   #83
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Biggest check is the color match from fender to bumper. If they are not blending to front fenders you want it to match. Look at it in sunlight and in artificial light. And don’t take it will never match BS from them.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 03:49 PM   #84
MrMegambo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Check for vibrations from your steering wheel and your butt when you get your car.

Ask them to check to make sure the wheel is not bent or cracked.

I am very skeptical when the tire was blown and the arm was bent and yet the wheel had no damage?
Exactly, I wonder if the dealer just made it up to make me feel better.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #85
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
If i recall correctly, i couldn't even rent cars from most of the rental agency until i turned 25.
The largest US rental car agencies will rent cars to people under 25, but with an insurance surcharge. And it's been like that for awhile now.

Oftentimes, that insurance surcharge can be waived with things like AAA memberships or discount rate codes, like from an employer when using their code for business/personal travel.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...s_Under_25.jsp
https://www.avis.com/en/help/usa-faqs/age-requirements
https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/f...-under-25.html
https://www.budget.com/en/help/usa-faqs/age-to-rent
https://www.nationalcar.com/en/suppo...uirements.html
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:03 PM   #86
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, I wonder if the dealer just made it up to make me feel better.
Well that is very easy to verify... after you get your car back assuming the paint matches, headlight aligns and works just as new and car drives straight, go to discount tires, or America's tires or whatever tire shop you prefer, spend $100 to road force balance all 4 wheels just for a peace of mind...

I just went through the same pothole situation with my wife's car after hitting a big ass pothole from the recent CA storms... I could see where the pothole hit the tire but the tire looked fine, no bubble or any visible damages. But there is this very annoying minor vibration at 70mph - 80mph. It took me 3 weeks after multiple visits to different tire places to finally figure out 1 of the wheels is slightly bent (but you can't tell from looking both sides of the wheel). wheel is balanced but the minor vibration will never go away.

Yours looked a lot worse than mine... so get it checked out later.

Very annoying to me but my wife has no idea what vibration i have been talking about... so whatever if she doesnt care, let it be.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 03-28-2023 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:32 AM   #87
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Its better than going to a chiropractor

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #88
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
The manager expressly asked me to not share the video online or with anyone, I told him I understand and if everything it done right with me I will not.
Nice move, that's called leverage my friend.

Well played.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0