Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340 harsh ride...options?

03-30-2024, 01:17 AM   #1
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i sDrive

M340 harsh ride...options?

My M340i has been nothing short of amazing so far, except in terms of ride quality. I knew the car's suspension would be firm, however not firm enough to the point where I can feel every pebble and imperfection in the road. I am currently riding on 18" Pirelli Sottozero 2 RFT winter tires. Aside from good snow traction, these tires are garbage. At high speeds these tires chase either sides of the lanes randomly. The sidewalls feel like I am riding on concrete. Heck these ride even worse than my 19" Goodyear F1 summer RFT tires. A recent M340 LCI loaner I received with adaptive suspension rode like a dream compared to mine.

I want to better my suspension comfort. I have two options, one is to go with an Ohlins R&T setup (which I've heard great things about) and two is to switch to a non-RFT setup, or both. Which is better? Would switching only the tires out provide a big enough difference to be comfortable? Note I do not have the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 05:41 AM   #2
Portimao Blue M440ix
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw m440i g22 Bmw 335i e92

If price is an issue try swapping out the tires first. You can find a great deal possibly here in the classified section or from similar classified sites to see if the tires alone do the job.

I have an m440i without adaptive suspension with the 19" non rft Michelin tires and I enjoy the ride quality but I also enjoy my e92 with rft tires ride quality as well. I guess I like a stiff ride bumpy ride.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 07:42 AM   #3
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Absolutely start with non-RFT's before you do anything else
Appreciate 3
      03-30-2024, 07:50 AM   #4
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

As I'm sure will be said here, switch to a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires first. This should improve ride dramatically. If that doesn't work, then start playing with the suspension.
      03-30-2024, 09:15 AM   #5
Luxy330
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix

I own the same model and year. Do you feel the road surface through the steering wheel? This annoys me more than the harsh ride, which I expected, especially considering the roads up here in NE. I have Michelin RFT's on my car and I will likely swap to a non-RFT once they need replacement. I would have bought a car with the adaptive suspension, but it seems to be a very rare option in the used market. I would definitely add it if I were to order new.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:33 AM   #6
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Switching out the runflats helps only a little bit. I'm also stuck with the m sport suspension instead of the adaptive and it's just not comfortable. It's a lot more harsh than my C7 was (which didn't even have magnetic ride control). When I test drove the G80 M3 comp, I was pretty surprised how much more comfortable that thing felt.

After owning my M340i for two years now, I'd certainly recommend anyone looking for one to hold out for a car with adaptive suspension. The problem is (in my market at least) it's really challenging to find one with it optioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 09:59 AM   #7
Tomla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i X & 2011 335i X

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopa View Post
Switching out the runflats helps only a little bit. I'm also stuck with the m sport suspension instead of the adaptive and it's just not comfortable. It's a lot more harsh than my C7 was (which didn't even have magnetic ride control). When I test drove the G80 M3 comp, I was pretty surprised how much more comfortable that thing felt.

After owning my M340i for two years now, I'd certainly recommend anyone looking for one to hold out for a car with adaptive suspension. The problem is (in my market at least) it's really challenging to find one with it optioned.
My M340 has adaptive suspension and non-runflats. I have some complaints about the car but ride quality is not one of them. The ride is firm for sure. And I can feel the surface irregularities through the wheel. But I like that! it is part of the reason that I bought the car!

I live in a fairly rural area and the roads are not well maintained. In fact now with the freeze/thaw cycles they are terrible. If I have to drive in the snow, or my wife is riding with me I will sometimes put the car in Comfort Mode which softens things out. For the most part I am in Sport Mode though. Of course, that only really matters if you have adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 1
M340I///M137.50
      03-30-2024, 10:09 AM   #8
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomla View Post
The ride is firm for sure. And I can feel the surface irregularities through the wheel.
That's the big difference between the two suspensions though (and I'd lump the G80 in here as well). The adaptive suspension is firm but comfortable, but the base is quite jarring.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 10:11 AM   #9
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Which is one of the reasons i’m leaning towards the Ohlins R&T setup. Few other members on here with the non adaptive suspension who made the switch noted it was a night and day difference. Only limiting factor for me is the $3k price tag
Appreciate 1
koopa106.00
      03-30-2024, 10:14 AM   #10
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxy330 View Post
I own the same model and year. Do you feel the road surface through the steering wheel? This annoys me more than the harsh ride, which I expected, especially considering the roads up here in NE. I have Michelin RFT's on my car and I will likely swap to a non-RFT once they need replacement. I would have bought a car with the adaptive suspension, but it seems to be a very rare option in the used market. I would definitely add it if I were to order new.
I do get a lot of feedback through the steering however the road feel is worse for me. The two options on this car I also regret not having is the adaptive suspension and driving professional package. Like you said they were very hard to find especially on these post covid models. Both are a no-brainer option to have
Appreciate 1
Luxy33010.50
      03-30-2024, 10:15 AM   #11
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by g20exaudinoob View Post
Which is one of the reasons i’m leaning towards the Ohlins R&T setup. Few other members on here with the non adaptive suspension who made the switch noted it was a night and day difference. Only limiting factor for me is the $3k price tag
One other thing I haven't tried or seen others try is going down to an 18" wheel. I imagine 18s with non RFTs would improve comfort a bit more but I'm sure it still wouldn't fix it. I've considered the coilovers too but that price (+ labor) has put me in the camp of living with it or swapping cars entirely.

Everything else about the car is great so I've just been living with it for now. I was hoping the G80 used market would be better at this point.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 10:16 AM   #12
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
My M340 has adaptive suspension and non-runflats. I have some complaints about the car but ride quality is not one of them. The ride is firm for sure. And I can feel the surface irregularities through the wheel. But I like that! it is part of the reason that I bought the car!

I live in a fairly rural area and the roads are not well maintained. In fact now with the freeze/thaw cycles they are terrible. If I have to drive in the snow, or my wife is riding with me I will sometimes put the car in Comfort Mode which softens things out. For the most part I am in Sport Mode though. Of course, that only really matters if you have adaptive suspension.
My previous M340i with non-adaptive suspension was very firm, bordering on harsh. My current M440i GC w/ adaptive suspension is SOOOOOOOOOO comfortable by comparison. It was difficult to take the M340i on long trips, but the M440i GC is just as at home on the highway as it is on backroads. It's fantastic!
      03-30-2024, 10:21 AM   #13
Tomla
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One other thing I haven't tried or seen others try is going down to an 18" wheel. I imagine 18s with non RFTs would improve comfort a bit more but I'm sure it still wouldn't fix it. I've considered the coilovers too but that price (+ labor) has put me in the camp of living with it or swapping cars entirely.

Everything else about the car is great so I've just been living with it for now. I was hoping the G80 used market would be better at this point.
I have staggered 19" summer non runflats and 18" square winter tires. Also non runflat. The 18" give a slightly softer ride but you will notice it in the handling as well. I can't wait to get the summer tires back on!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 11:28 AM   #14
Luxy330
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix

Quote:
I have staggered 19" summer non runflats and 18" square winter tires. Also non runflat. The 18" give a slightly softer ride but you will notice it in the handling as well. I can't wait to get the summer tires back on!
What is your summer non-RFT?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:00 PM   #15
GrubTheHedgehog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Consider some Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s if you can’t commit to summers. Ditch the runflats. Pirelli RFTs are particularly harsh. Like, brutally harsh. When paired with the wrong suspension, a runflat ruins the car, possibly your spine too.

Don’t expect a massive difference—ultimately adaptive suspension is the feature that mitigates this issue the most, but a good non runflat will help.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2024, 08:49 PM   #16
dontuseblinkers
Rep
Drives: m340i

i placed an order for a new m340i because I couldn't find one used with adaptive suspension and dapp.

I had multiple salesman tell me that the adaptive suspension is overrated. They never felt the difference. It's a useless feature. They removed it off their car. BMW isn't a rough ride and they never heard of anyone saying its a rough ride.

I just went and placed an order with a broker after dealing with the clown show there.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2024, 10:53 PM   #17
Tomla
Private
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=Luxy330;31031442]What is your summer non-RFT?

I have the 4s. Not the the all season version. I am happy with them but don’t expect to get too many miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 11:34 PM   #18
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

pilot sport 4 the best of all worlds
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 12:12 AM   #19
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontuseblinkers View Post
i placed an order for a new m340i because I couldn't find one used with adaptive suspension and dapp.

I had multiple salesman tell me that the adaptive suspension is overrated. They never felt the difference. It's a useless feature. They removed it off their car. BMW isn't a rough ride and they never heard of anyone saying its a rough ride.

I just went and placed an order with a broker after dealing with the clown show there.
Those salespeople are high af. There’s a massive difference. They just want to make a sale.
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2024, 10:38 AM   #20
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
Those salespeople are high af. There’s a massive difference. They just want to make a sale.
This might not be a popular opinion but the salesmen aren’t entirely wrong. This is coming from a guy with Adaptive on staggered 19” setup. It’s all about context: totally depends on the road surface. For uneven pavement and the likes, yes Adaptive makes a difference but if you are hitting potholes forget it! Tire type/size and sidewall matter a great deal - Adaptive by itself won’t save the day when you hit those potholes. It feels harsh on my car (damaged 2 tires over potholes) but I’ve driven a loaner with 18” over same potholes and it felt more forgiving.

That said get the Adaptive if you can: you will feel the difference when it comes to things like body roll as well. In any case, it’s best to test drive back-to-back between Adaptive and non-adaptive (same tire size/setup for apples-to-apples comparison.) You be the best judge.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2024, 11:22 AM   #21
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post

You are 100% right. Adaptive M is a must-have.

I wouldn’t take a G20 or a G26 without Adaptive M if you gave it to me for free.
Appreciate 1
M340I///M137.50
      03-31-2024, 11:26 AM   #22
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

I had a 330i loaner with 19-inch square setup and it rode well until it hit a pothole, it was a big jolt! Luckily the tire and the rim stayed intact or else it would have been an insurance claim.

My 330i base has 18-inch square and still can feel jolts over same pothole but not as severe. In fact, I changed the factory AS RFTs to a set of non-star AS RFTs which weight extra 4 lbs each, it feels like the extra weight(and extra material) helps to soften the jolts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
This might not be a popular opinion but the salesmen aren’t entirely wrong. This is coming from a guy with Adaptive on staggered 19” setup. It’s all about context: totally depends on the road surface. For uneven pavement and the likes, yes Adaptive makes a difference but if you are hitting potholes forget it! Tire type/size and sidewall matter a great deal - Adaptive by itself won’t save the day when you hit those potholes. It feels harsh on my car (damaged 2 tires over potholes) but I’ve driven a loaner with 18” over same potholes and it felt more forgiving.

That said get the Adaptive if you can: you will feel the difference when it comes to things like body roll as well. In any case, it’s best to test drive back-to-back between Adaptive and non-adaptive (same tire size/setup for apples-to-apples comparison.) You be the best judge.
Appreciate 1
zazzau763.50