Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Next-gen 2019 BMW 3 Series (G20) prototype breaks cover! Spyshots Compilation

Closed Thread

01-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #89
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
That doesn't wash in my opinion Scott, it's 2016 and by the time this car is released LED and xenon technology will be even wider spread across cheaper brands.

BMW have got away with it for 3 generations I think a fourth is pushing it somewhat.

If we see standard LED/Xenon on M Sport / Luxury then that would at least be a sensible step towards the 21st Century
Here's a better answer.

It's a German car. The day BMW, Mercedes and Audi offer standard xenon lights across the line up, I'll drink beer out of a shoe.
Haha yeah... But the tide is changing e.g. In the UK 2 out of the 3 trim levels of the Audi A3 include xenons with an LED option... And that's a 1 series rival.

Would you like a straw with your shoe?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #90
Nacho98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Well due to the high fleet and entry model sales in Germany then yes these will be available as standard equipment.
What difference does that make? Have you seen the Toyota Corolla? Plenty of $15,000 fleet Corollas out there with LED headlights standard, albeit just the low beams.

Get with the program, xenons should've been standard long ago from a supposed premium brand. Are you guys really gonna play this pre-LCI/LCI now you have LEDs, now you don't game yet again?

Stop making excuses and just say BMW is greedy and cheap and will sell halogen headlight turds to people as long as people will still buy the cars with them. This is a nice area you could be a leader in the industry, and just say you are going to move forward with technology and make xenons standard across the line, which wouldn't even be that impressive since the technology is 20 years old at this point (Lincoln MK VIII and some Porsches had them back in the mid-90s IIRC). Halogens are 50 years old.

Nothing cheapens your brand more than halogen headlights and incandescent brake lights IMO. Are you still going to be doing this in another 30 years?
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #91
PennSt8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2020 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Here's a better answer.

It's a German car. The day BMW, Mercedes and Audi offer standard xenon lights across the line up, I'll drink beer out of a shoe.
If I'm not mistaken the redesigned A4 is equipped with xenon light standard. Makes me wonder if BMW/M-B will follow suit.
      01-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #92
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

Funny how people keeps saying "XX" looks good! "xy looks good!"

Yeah. We go through this every time a new generation BMW comes out. None of what you see will be remotely close to the real thing. Everything's tacked on for now while final designs are still being vetted by corporate (if at all at this point). The general overall outline/shape of the car or certain parts not under camo (like the windshield, brake discs, etc) may somewhat resemble the production unit(s) but that's about it.

As in with the case with the 3-Series, looks like the new model is evolutionary at most.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #93
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennSt8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Here's a better answer.

If I'm not mistaken the redesigned A4 is equipped with xenon light standard. Makes me wonder if BMW/M-B will follow suit.
According to UK brochure you are spot on, SE gets Xenon then S Line gets LED standard.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #94
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoTTa35 View Post
Looking good so far. As much as a love my F30, I will not miss the high hoodline.
Agree. That hoodline kept me away from the F generation. Glad to see it is gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #95
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
I dont see the point. I had to replace my xenons once I believe in the last decade and never had to replace any LEDs. So whats the use of incandescent lights which have to be replaced like every year anyway.
They offer easier and cost effective maintenance for large fleets.
      01-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #96
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98 View Post
What difference does that make? Have you seen the Toyota Corolla? Plenty of $15,000 fleet Corollas out there with LED headlights standard, albeit just the low beams.

Get with the program, xenons should've been standard long ago from a supposed premium brand. Are you guys really gonna play this pre-LCI/LCI now you have LEDs, now you don't game yet again?

Stop making excuses and just say BMW is greedy and cheap and will sell halogen headlight turds to people as long as people will still buy the cars with them. This is a nice area you could be a leader in the industry, and just say you are going to move forward with technology and make xenons standard across the line, which wouldn't even be that impressive since the technology is 20 years old at this point (Lincoln MK VIII and some Porsches had them back in the mid-90s IIRC). Halogens are 50 years old.

Nothing cheapens your brand more than halogen headlights and incandescent brake lights IMO. Are you still going to be doing this in another 30 years?
Its not an excuse. You can buy an entry 3er in Germany with cloth seats, halogen headlights and yes plastic wheel covers.
These are very popular as fleet,government,Polizei,retirees and entry customers.
Its what gives not just BMW but also Mercedes their largest sales.
      01-13-2016, 02:05 AM   #97
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98 View Post

Its not an excuse. You can buy an entry 3er in Germany with cloth seats, halogen headlights and yes plastic wheel covers.
These are very popular as fleet,government,Polizei,retirees and entry customers.
But will the rest of the range/trim levels have modern lighting equipment as standard?
... that's the $64k question.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:10 AM   #98
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

On no! Wider and longer! Just what I WOULDN'T want in the new model. I downsized from my F11 because it was too much of a barge. My F31 is large enough already. I wouldn't want a larger estate which would be less agile and less of a driver's car. Why do all car manufacturers do this? The new Mazda MX-5 seems to be one of the few exceptions.
      01-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #99
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad
On no! Wider and longer! Just what I WOULDN'T want in the new model. I downsized from my F11 because it was too much of a barge. My F31 is large enough already. I wouldn't want a larger estate which would be less agile and less of a driver's car. Why do all car manufacturers do this? The new Mazda MX-5 seems to be one of the few exceptions.
Don't over cook it, the new Miata is a barge compared to the first model.

I hate cars getting bigger also. Sometimes while driving my 4 series I feel like it's an 83 Monte Carlo for being so damn long. Think about that 2 series each day more and more...

Not sure what they're trying to do with the 3 series now, but I suspect it's customers who demand more room.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #100
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Don't over cook it, the new Miata is a barge compared to the first model.

I hate cars getting bigger also. Sometimes while driving my 4 series I feel like it's an 83 Monte Carlo for being so damn long. Think about that 2 series each day more and more...

Not sure what they're trying to do with the 3 series now, but I suspect it's customers who demand more room.
The new MX5 is not a barge compared to the new one. They are pretty much the same size except the 2016 is a few 100 pounds heavier due to modern safety equipment.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:38 PM   #101
Nacho98
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Several

Quote:
But you're still going to make halogen garbage standard in the US again, aren't you? It's still an excuse because again, I can buy a Corolla for a lot cheaper than the cheapest BMW and it is still going to come with LED headlights.

It would actually be cheaper from a manufacturing and certification standpoint to have ONE headlight style.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #102
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho98
Quote:
But you're still going to make halogen garbage standard in the US again, aren't you? It's still an excuse because again, I can buy a Corolla for a lot cheaper than the cheapest BMW and it is still going to come with LED headlights.

It would actually be cheaper from a manufacturing and certification standpoint to have ONE headlight style.
Fair point

I would have thought BMW would be interested in the desires of their most loyal customers... Let's hope they listen this time
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #103
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

We will have colonized Mars before BMW ditches crappy halogens
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #104
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Cannot wait to get this!
      01-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #105
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The new MX5 is not a barge compared to the new one. They are pretty much the same size except the 2016 is a few 100 pounds heavier due to modern safety equipment.
Will admit I haven't sat in the new Miata, but the car looks much larger than the original which was tiny.

Now you're going to make me look up the dimensions of both to compare.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #106
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Will admit I haven't sat in the new Miata, but the car looks much larger than the original which was tiny.

Now you're going to make me look up the dimensions of both to compare.
From Car and Driver:
"the new car is dimensionally quite close to the 1990 Miata and smaller than the outgoing version. Our test car, equipped with the largest 17-inch wheels and the U.S.-spec 2.0-liter inline-four-cylinder engine, tipped the scales a mere 99 pounds heavier than our 1990 test car. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/mx-5-miata

Funny how Mazda can trim 200+ pounds from the previous-gen miata, or 10% of the total weight. Meanwhile BMW uses fancy stuff like a carbon fiber driveshaft in the new M3 and can barely trim 50 pounds or 1-2%.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #107
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCO View Post
looks like the headlights are running into the grills again.
I agree, stupid design idea just to be different, but not to look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm surprised there is so much negative comment on the high 'hood' line. [...] it is part of BMW DNA and heritage.
Yeah, but its ugly.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #108
Raygun
Rep
Drives: depends on the day

not bad
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #109
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Scott, aside from keeping Halogens due to fleet cars, what about the switch that happens between LED blinkers and incandescent??

My E90 LCI had xenons with LED directionals, then when I get the F30 I'm stuck back with xenons with incandescent directionals.

That's what I don't get and is so infuriating...This back and forth, now you have them now you don't with the lights. Are we looking at that with the G20 also? Back to incandescent directionals until the LCI?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #110
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Man.. People are really butthole hurt around here over headlights...

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread