Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions ZTK Cooling and High Performance Tire Package

02-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
Elektro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive Coupe

ZTK Cooling and High Performance Tire Package

Last edited by Elektro; 05-28-2022 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 10:15 PM   #2
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektro View Post
Does the ZTK Cooling and High Performance Tire Package still come with an exposed radiator, or have they added some kind of shielding?
You mean the bottom one? It's fine. It's under the car, and the way I drive with Pennsylvania highway debris it would have been destroyed with the 17k highway miles I've put on my car in over a year.

The myth it gets damaged a lot is just that; A myth.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 1
Top Gon416.00
      02-07-2022, 10:38 PM   #3
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Second that....never had an issue with mine...
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:58 PM   #4
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

No issues here either. Not even any signs that debris is hitting it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 06:53 AM   #5
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Turner makes a skid plate, which I'll most likely be installing because I plan to lower my car and I don't want that added risk.

I had an 2018 340i with the Track Handling pkg and my build was before they added rock guards as standard. A small rock pierced through that cooler (front facing) on my way to work and drained all of the fluid pretty quickly. Thankfully I got it covered under warranty and they installed rock guards after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
Turner makes a skid plate, which I'll most likely be installing because I plan to lower my car and I don't want that added risk.

I had an 2018 340i with the Track Handling pkg and my build was before they added rock guards as standard. A small rock pierced through that cooler (front facing) on my way to work and drained all of the fluid pretty quickly. Thankfully I got it covered under warranty and they installed rock guards after the fact.
Why can't they install rock guards by default from factory? I loaded my car with all available features except this one PKG. I thought about getting it and sourcing for a rock guard but based on everything I read it either wasn't feasible on the M340 or the available products weren't exactly what I was looking for - although I may be misrembering.

If I was leasing my car I more than likely would have optioned this feature regardless. But I'm keeping mine for the long haul and wouldn't want to shoulder repair/maintenance cost while I'm out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:02 PM   #7
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Why can't they install rock guards by default from factory? I loaded my car with all available features except this one PKG. I thought about getting it and sourcing for a rock guard but based on everything I read it either wasn't feasible on the M340 or the available products weren't exactly what I was looking for - although I may be misrembering.

If I was leasing my car I more than likely would have optioned this feature regardless. But I'm keeping mine for the long haul and wouldn't want to shoulder repair/maintenance cost while I'm out of warranty.
I do think it's pretty dumb that they don't have some sort of guard from the factory. Even a cheap plastic guard would give me a little better peace of mind.. When my 22' arrives in about a week I'll see if they have made any updates. No one ever orders ZTK at the dealership I work at....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #8
Elektro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive Coupe

Last edited by Elektro; 05-28-2022 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #9
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
I do think it's pretty dumb that they don't have some sort of guard from the factory. Even a cheap plastic guard would give me a little better peace of mind.. When my 22' arrives in about a week I'll see if they have made any updates. No one ever orders ZTK at the dealership I work at....
Completely agree. Congrats on your new car too!
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2022, 01:43 PM   #10
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The G20 has front facing rock guards now.

The bottom aux radiator sits up under the front bumper. It doesn't need a guard.

Appreciate 1
EXE462101.50
      02-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #11
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to this. Photos of the latest rad please!
Will do, although I don't have high hopes...

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post

The bottom aux radiator sits up under the front bumper. It doesn't need a guard.
Correct, front facing guards are now standard. The concern is that the additional oil cooler in ZPK is not as protected as it could be. I have not heard horror stories from the G20 crowd yet, but I have seen examples from F90 owners. Lowered cars will definitely benefit from some sort of guard.

F90 oil cooler in image below. Similar location to G20.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 05:57 PM   #12
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Looking forward to this. Photos of the latest rad please!
Will do, although I don't have high hopes...

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post

Correct, front facing guards are now standard. The concern is that the additional oil cooler in ZPK is not as protected as it could be. I have not heard horror stories from the G20 crowd yet, but I have seen examples from F90 owners. Lowered cars will definitely benefit from some sort of guard.

F90 oil cooler in image below. Similar location to G20.
I had an E92 with this oil cooler I drove for 120k miles with no issue.

It looks like that person hit a curb or a rock.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 04:21 PM   #13
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Much like the folks who constantly complain their car sounds different after the latest update, this too is mostly urban myth.

Truly, to me it's somewhat insane owners who have nothing better to do than obsess.

just drive the car. If you suddenly don't like it, sell it off.

ZTK is good for those of us who want the added benefits.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 3
      02-10-2022, 09:15 PM   #14
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:

Do you by chance have the link for the skid plate?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:16 PM   #15
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Does anyone know if the track and cooling package can be added after the fact? And if so what the cost for materials would be?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 05:08 AM   #16
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Do you by chance have the link for the skid plate?
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...bly-g20-m340i/

Quote:
Does anyone know if the track and cooling package can be added after the fact? And if so what the cost for materials would be?
Not sure what the cost would be, but you would have to source brakes, oil cooler, and have everything coded.

M Performance brakes - https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:58 AM   #17
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the link to the skid plate - the assembly looks top notch!

My heartburn with the M-Performance big brake kit is the buyer is required to purchase the rear calipers and rotors, which I do not require (my vehicle already has the M-Sport brakes); the only components I require are the larger front calipers and discs. With this stated I will most likely wait until AP or some other brake company offers an aftermarket unit vs paying for materials I do not need.

From reviewing the component list as it relates to the oil cooler upgrade, the up front cost would be more than it's worth (the cooler itself is $560) and as you stated everything would have to be coded into the system. I'll put my funds where they will have a more profound impact on cost vs value.

Thank you again for your help!
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 08:16 AM   #18
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The issue I have the M-Performance big brake kit is you are required to purchase the rear calipers and rotors which I do not require (my vehicle already has the M-Sport brakes); the only components I am interested in installing would be the larger front calipers and discs. Most likely I will wait until AP or some other brake company offers an aftermarket unit vs paying for materials I do not need.

From reviewing the component list as it relates to the oil cooler upgrade, the up front cost would be more than it's worth (the cooler itself is $560) and as you stated everything would have to be coded into the system. I'll put my funds where they will have a more profound impact on cost vs value.

No problem and I agree! I would rather spend the money on an AP BBK and then invest in other modifications. Great option from the factory, but I don't think I would want to know what the total out of pocket cost would be if you add that package after the fact!
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #19
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The issue I have the M-Performance big brake kit is you are required to purchase the rear calipers and rotors which I do not require (my vehicle already has the M-Sport brakes); the only components I am interested in installing would be the larger front calipers and discs. Most likely I will wait until AP or some other brake company offers an aftermarket unit vs paying for materials I do not need.

No problem and I agree! I would rather spend the money on an AP BBK and then invest in other modifications. Great option from the factory, but I don't think I would want to know what the total out of pocket cost would be if you add that package after the fact!
Not to mention the AP BBK assemblies would be miles better than the M-Performance assemblies! I do concur, the $1500ish to add as an option through BMW during the build phase is a no brainer, but to add after the fact would be money thrown out the window.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 09:12 AM   #20
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: 2022 M340i xDrive ZTK Oil Cooler images

Last pic for attention. Loving the new ride!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      03-09-2022, 04:09 AM   #21
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Aren't the AP Racing kits like $8k? Pretty sure that's what Schirmer charges for F## cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #22
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Aren't the AP Racing kits like $8k? Pretty sure that's what Schirmer charges for F## cars.
Some of their kits can be that expensive, but they usually have multiple options.

example for FXX gen: https://williamsperformance.co.uk/pr...ake-kit-j-hook
Appreciate 1