Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Mixed tires on front now after puncture - thoughts?

05-12-2024, 05:44 AM   #1
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e LCI

Mixed tires on front now after puncture - thoughts?

So on Thursday I had the misfortune to run over a massive bolt sat on the road on the way home. Tire punctured beyond repair. Luckily just about limped the car back onto my drive at home just seconds after it had completely flattened!

The cover I have allows Kwik fit to come out and replace the tire on the drive, all part of the lease deal. So just worked from home the following day and waited in. Kwik fit guy turns up and says "they've just sent me with a hankook is that okay?" - well I didn't really have a choice tbh the tire was destroyed. So he replaced my Bridgestone Potenza tire with a "hankook ventus s1 evo 3" tire.

So now I have the front 2 mixed. Bridgestone potenza on the passenger side, and the hankook on the driver's side. Luckily the two rears have just been replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport 5's so I was more than happy with this swap. But just wondered about these mixed tires on the front?

I don't have X-drive so does it not really matter about this mixed set up front? I have about 4 mm tread left on the potenza so would you recommend they swap out like for like and put another hankook in when it's time to swap that one out? This is the first time they've mixed brands on the same axle for me so just wanted some opinions on this from people who know what's best!

Cheers all
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 06:49 AM   #2
Portimao Blue M440ix
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw m440i g22 Bmw 335i e92

You should be fine but you will always be at different tread depth going forward. At 4mm left its starting to get low on tread. Is there no way to get them to replace the 4mm tire for a small fee or a little late now but a used tire similar in tread to the 4mm one this way they wear evenly.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

From Kwik Fit's website:

"When multiple brands and patterns are used on a single axle, it might cause under or over steering when cornering."

If it was me, I'd be telling them to come and take the Hankook off and replace it with a Potenza.
Appreciate 1
bmnut833.50
      05-17-2024, 02:52 PM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

I'd go with the comment above. I consider that the replacement tyre of a different make, tread pattern, rolling characteristic to your original on the same axle is totally unacceptable.
Tend to agree that different tyres front to rear are not as critical as they would be with X-drive but not different tyres on the same axle.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2024, 01:45 AM   #5
Pezzer4529
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 3.0d M Sport Pro

For the Kwik Fit guy to say “is that OK?”, says it all for me. In a way he’s saying it’s not OK, unless you agree to it being fitted.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 02:46 PM   #6
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e LCI

Thanks for the replies everyone I do appreciate your advice.

I'm gonna get onto the tomorrow and complain. Not only that but the paperwork for the job he did came through as an email attachment and he's put down I have hankook tires on all 4 corners, and he's even signed it off as me! I'm absolutely fuming with them tbh. Pure cowboys.

I'm gonna say it's unsafe and I want the same brand on both sides.
Appreciate 1