07-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Look in to Hamilton watches.... great entry price tag for quality watches. The problem is that for me a Hamilton was a gateway drug. Once I had a decent automatic Hamilton watch (~$500) I caught the bug and started wanting to step up... so beware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Agree, Hamilton is a nice entry into the world of mechanical watches. Seiko mechanical watches are also really nice, I have a couple of divers on Nato straps and always get compliments. Check out Orient watches, another very inexpensive but well made mechanical, more dress oriented.

This is a cool site, lots of watch reviews and most are under 1k....

http://wornandwound.com/

My nephew is into watches and has several nice ones. I was talking with him last week about watches and he recommended Hamiltons as an entry level and sent me a link to a few nice ones. There are several available through Amazon for considerably less than retail, but almost all the reviews warn about Amazon not being an authorized dealer, so no warranty coverage. Are warranties that important with watches at this level? I have over $20k in camera gear and have never needed to use a warranty, so I stopped caring about warranties on camera gear. But Canon (my brand) only offers one year anyway. It might be a different story on a watch that may have multiple years of coverage.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0