08-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #182
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dds007 View Post
Looking at gt3's for weeks now. ....hopefully Christmas ?
Merry christmas to you!!

In hind sight, this is what i should have done. It didn't cost much more and i'm pretty confident it would have been a much better experience. That's one 911 that's still calling my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Back in the days of 911s when they came with a simple rack and pinion steering rack, no power assistance and thinner higher profile tyres - the steering feel was indeed legendary. The wheel writhed in your hands giving so much feel and information about what the front of the car was doing, it was pretty special.
Even small adjustments to the front suspension set up were easily felt through the steering wheel...I set up the corner weights on a modified 930 5 speed turbo just by making adjustments in my garage without a gauge and test driving to see the results and got it pretty much spot on.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Porsche tried to get back some of that feel back into the current models....but it would be incredible hard to fake.
That's what my father was hoping to find again in his last modern Porsche purchase. 12 of the 13 911s he owned were between 1964 - 1989. He's always going on about how awesome those cars were and how he bought his first one in 1964 for $5200 right off the showroom floor. He's got lots os stories about racing american V8s on the highway and the looks on their faces as this small weird foreign car slowly pulls away from them.

He and i were going to do a nostalgia build of an older 911 but the money people currently want for even a very poor example is just silly. Hence the E30 project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Once upon a time a lot of cars had great steering feel. I swear I could identify the brand of cigarette butt I was running over through the steering wheel on my MGB. m--a--r--l--b--o--r--o
My father's road trip buddy has an MGB stuffed in the corner of his garage. Too sentimental to let it go. haha

Those two have some good early foreign sports car stories.