Thread: New Macbook Air
View Single Post
      03-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Who asked for this? Who went up to Steve Jobs and said "You know what feature I've always wanted in a laptop? Not an optical drive, connectivity, or useability. What I've always wanted, is a laptop you can slide under a door."

The MacBook Air is a triumph of design, and a failure as a laptop. It's not lighter than other laptops, smaller than other laptops, it doesn't last longer on battery or do pretty much anything better than other laptops. It's just thinner than they are. It's sole purpose is being thin - and while lots of Hollywood actresses can make a career out of that, it's not a great signature feature in a laptop, especially when you get so little for the trade-off.

I'll stick with my Sony TZ, which is lighter, has a DVDRW drive, Sprint WWAN, WLAN, modem, ethernet, SD slot, ExpressCard slot, MemoryStick slot, Webcam, and last 2 hours longer with a battery you can actually replace/upgrade. If you want to go all out, you can even get a TZ with 64GB SSD and 250GB HDD built-in (it replaces the DVDRW).

And it will still fit in an interoffice envelope.
Appreciate 0