02-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #15
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Got it. Ok where the problem started was that it was a Dr's office that prescribed the MRI. This debt goes on the books as just a medical service provided and not ER services. ER services are treated as essential care and there are laws that protect patients both in terms of level of care and financials.

This is what I'd do if I were you and I'm speaking on a personal level of what I solely would do and not giving any financial/legal advice.

I would, definitely not pay the $1200. Regarding the $150 I'd probably go online and pay $10 every other month till it's paid off.

Now the below would depend on how far I'm willing to dodge the bullet and fucking make their life hell. But say if I wanted to just go all out...

The initiation of collections on the $1200 debt has to be first by mail. Then can be followed up by phone. So I'd wait till I received a phone call but no longer than 30 days before taking action. If I never receive a phone call by the 10-15th day. I'd dispute the charge in writing and send them a cease and desist notice. I'd send it certified mail.

Meanwhile, I'd try to recall or get copies of the paperwork that the Dr's office made me sign. There will certainly be some clause in there regarding the handling of insurance, responsibility of payment, collections, etc... Each state has various laws. I'd be looking to see if an interest agreement clause/form was in there. This would state that the office or the collections agency may charge interest. 99% of the time no hospital or dr office will charge interest on services. However, in some states it is legal.

Now the cease and desist doesnt have to come from an attorney. It can be a simple "dont fucking call me" written on a post it note. They have to stop calling.

The debt collector can contact you in writing only for:
1. to advise the consumer that the debt collector's further efforts are being terminated;
2. to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or
3. where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.

By this point the debt collector has filed the account away in some box and the next time they'll probably review it is when they are writing shit off.

Now at any point should I receive a call or letter from them (after my cease and desist), I'd type up some formal complaint and send it to the FTC, State's AG of where the debt collector is, BBB of the debt collector's state and CFPB. Same letter to all of them. Probably say something along the lines that I felt harassed after I disputed the charge.

Absolutely at least one of those agencies most likely the BBB or CFPB will take action and usually pretty quickly.

Then probably rest easy that they going to write my shit off. Keep in mind this is dealing with the debt collection agency and not the hospital.

I've also been on the other side of the spectrum to see collections happen. You would not believe the lengths people would go through to not pay like $50. Usually when we received notices from the BBB to respond or the CFPB we were like fuck it.... write that shit off. Even in amount of 10K+ we wrote off bc it was just too much of a pain to collect on after an agency was involved. Non compliance with a federal agency and risking an audit/investigation was not worth trying to collect on 10K+ debt that the person clearly couldnt afford to pay on. So it was just written off the books.
Thanks it's not even about the money at this point. $1,200 isn't pocket change, but what pisses me off more is their attitude after they are the ones that estimated wrong by more than double.

I found the paper I signed when I paid the upfront $$ which was actually $700 not $800. Estimated responsibility $0, fucking circled and everything. Estimated based on current OOP of $7k so they knew what my OOP was. I don't think I'm crazy in thinking the $700 was the total cost based on this form they had me sign.

Appreciate 0