Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The M340i is just replacing the 340i M Sport ZTR. The base and non-M Sport 340i is just not going to exist anymore. It's just a marketing badge. Will it be faster than the current 340i? Sure... but that's commensurate with the update to the 3 series line, and not because they put an M badge in front of it.
There have been M Performance models like you describe (most of them so far including M235i, M240i, M550i, etc.) which are basically the same cars we're used to with M Sport & Track handling packages standard plus a few more horsepower than the non-M Performance versions that would theoretically exist. (theoretically because there is no 235i, 240i, etc.)

The second and more interesting M Performance vehicle seems to be coming starting with the M850i which has apparently been designed with a lot more input from M employees and a lot less from BMW employees. We're getting a real electronically-variable LSD standard, more aggressive suspension setup with more negative camber, and other fun stuff like that and the car is said to be set up to be significantly more fun to drive and to give better feedback to the driver than the standard 8 series. I'm really hoping M340i follows in those footsteps so it can stop being a "330i with more power" and can be more of a half way model between 330i and M3.

This is coming from a current 340i w/ M Sport & Track Handling Package + MPPSK owner. I like my car, but it's a LONG way away from an M3. If I were back in the end of 2015 again, I would 100% have spent the extra money and gone for the M3 so I think it would be nice if the future M340i could give buyers a little more driving enjoyment, a more aggressive chassis setup, etc. than my car offers.
It has been confirmed through insiders that the m performance models are more than just reskin of the previous gen Msport cars. Model specific suspension as well as limited slip diff on the M340 are just for a few major items. Including the lowered sport suspension for the drive cars (probably the biggest handicap of the f30)
Appreciate 2
JustChris17605.50
clbmw632.50