View Single Post
      09-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #22
Brawler
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '04 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4K View Post
I am honestly more driven by the aesthetic of the vehicle. And the conjoined grills are what bothers me the most on the M2, plus the rear nut sack that is noticeably dangling.

Look at the way the M8 is going as well. I feel compelled to say that BMW's are going through a conjoined grill look going forward.
I feel you bro. My mind is always modifying shapes until it finds it aesthetically pleasing, unless it's perfection, like the DB9- all I could do was appreciate it.

No doubt the grilles are going towards the styling you suggested. The thing is, BM has historically updated its grille design for every generation... which was fine, I suppose. But then they started adjusting the grille design for every individual line up.

The 7-series has huge beast-chipmunk teeth like grilles for example, which I thought looked more comedic than aggressive (I assume BM intended for the latter, as they usually do).

It's almost as if they're on a journey of their own to solve the most perfect, most optimal kidney grille design...

My point is they've kind of set themselves a precedence of their own and now they feel pressured to constantly update a design, even if it were solved- they've now committed to making them shallower and wider for the next generation.

The double kidney grille (separated ones) are so iconic that you could slap them on 90% of cars and from a certain distance it'd look like some sort of BMW. I don't think they should have took it this far... FWIW they had it solved on the E92.
Appreciate 0