08-05-2019, 05:08 PM   #583
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Really, you went with the EV1. Hardly anywhere near the same architecture and technology as the Bolt. The EV1 was not a mass-produced market car and was built for the California CARB market. And there is 20 years separating the vehicles ... The Volt is not a plug-in hybrid. You are thinking of a Prius. The Gen 1Volt was an extended-range EV. Gen 2 had a slightly parallel hybrid design (for speeds above 70 MPH), but still is classified as an extended range EV.
Like I said: I granted that the Volt created a viable niche. But its type of dual-stage approach had been done before. Oh ... and I know my hybrids. Don't be condescending. I know WTF the difference is between a Prius and a Volt. One had to plug in the Volt. One doesn't have to plug in a Prius. That's kind of the definition of a plug-in ANYthing, isn't it?

Quote:
When the Z4 gets to 370,000 sales, call us back. And when the Z4 architecture launches an entirely new car company and several different models, then we'll know it's importance to automotive history; maybe Toyota will branch off a new Luxury car line... oh, wait. In 1986 BMW copied the Fiero's architecture for the most part, except the surfboard floor panel. I think BMW sold 10,000 Z1 IIRC. It mostly borrowed parts from the E30.
Please look up the meaning of the word 'fad' and get back to me. Total sales have little to do with being a fad. Longevity does. By your definition, Cabbage Patch Kids are one of the greatest stuffed toys in the history of mankind.

Quote:
It can be argued that Cadillac actually got BMW off its ass to build a sports sedan again, since the ATS embarrassed it in most every driving dynamics rating.
No it can't. Please stop trying to make that argument. The Caddys didn't cause anyone to do anything they weren't already doing.
Appreciate 0