View Single Post
      10-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #44
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not being critical here, simply interested in how you guys are doing with costs and consumption... My driving profile is looking like it can possibly work with PHEV, if there is the 40+km electric range.

I see a high weekly mileage and just 49.9mpg. Am I right in the electric only figure being 220.1 miles? If so, doesn't it still make a diesel, the engine of choice for economy?

Yes, I know there is more to it than that, but from a financial position is it going to make sense long term?
So I'm up to 1600 miles (2.5 weeks of ownership) and my average is about 80MPG. That's based on 6 x 175 mile customer trips (mostly motorway, charge at each end) + 4 x 92 mile round trips to the office (70% motorway, charge at the office) + local driving (<30 miles, mainly A/B roads).

I've averaged about 65MPG on the long trips (clearly the longer the trip the worse it's going to be), I get 165MPG+ on my office trip and generally on full electric for local trips so no fuel usage. I'm getting around 650-700 miles out of a tank (only 40 litres).

My 2016 Mondeo (210BHP twin-turbo diesel) averaged 52MPG over the last 13k miles, probably driven a little less gently but not much. That would do about 550 miles out of a 55 litre tank.

I'm sure a 320d could better 65MPG over 175 miles (by a bit but I bet not a lot) but as soon as you get to the other end and (in my case) potter around locally in traffic between client/hotel etc. for the week the average diesel MPG will drop like a stone whereas in the 330e it will improve, if you can keep it charged up.

A few caveats:

1. I'm very much driving in eco mode 98% of the time. I'm happy sitting at around 60MPH on the motorway in which case it will sit in electric mode, while there is charge left. Sit at 70MPH+ and you'll be in petrol mode. Sit at 90 and I doubt the electric-ness will help you much :-)
2. I can charge at home & office (for free) and try to make sure I can charge at my client/hotel (again usually free).
3. I've moved to an off peak EV electricity tariff at home which is 1/3rd the price of normal electricity. It gives a charge window from 12:30am to 4:30am, more than enough for a full charge (from a dedicated home charge unit). Costs me about 50p to fully charge the car.

So I guess it comes down to journey type, driving style + ability to frequently charge.

A lot of the motor press only position PHEV's as good for "those with short commutes" but I've been really impressed at my MPG so far and I do 2k miles/month, somewhat above average. There has been more than a fair share of Xtra Boost moments since it was run in so I'm not a total angel :-)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by tricky6; 10-08-2019 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 2