01-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #39
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Just a thought, on this "feels overly heavy" steering.

How does it compare to the 'weight or heft' we were used to, in say the I6 E9x models? Anyone running both to compare?
I think it’s still much lighter in sport compared to standard E90 setup. The E90’s heavy steering obviously felt quite different being hydraulic. Instead of an artificial disconnected heavy, it felt more like the weight of the front tires connected to you and you could make micro adjustments with total predictability. G20 in sport feels heavy but vague. This is prob an exaggeration but remember I used to change lanes on a highway by just moving the steering wheel a millimeter. It’s prob closer to an inch now with the G20. Anyone who’s driven the e46/e90 can maybe describe that feeling better. It was super heavy yet effortless. And also, that heavy feeling felt more like it was resistance from the tires trying to straighten out and return the steering to center if that makes sense. In summary- I guess the heavy feeling didn’t feel fake or artificial bc I could feel the weight of turning the front tires. Now I just feel weight but not sure why. I don’t think EPS and weight go well together.

Now the big question- in day to day driving- which is better? I'm so conflicted about this. On one hand i miss the E90 steering so much but then i remember the pain of maneuvering through city traffic. With EPS i can dart through traffic using my pinky. We can debate this forever but i think the G20 has good balance-best of both worlds(in comfort setting). Decent weight/feel for corners and high speed but with easy maneuvering for day to day.

Last edited by alpinewhite3; 01-01-2020 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 4
stein_325i25176.00
am3r1ka1413.00
A6bullet339.50