02-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #95
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Perhaps it is because I drove into the Mercedes lot to test drive the C43 in my 2017 M3, but the Mercedes didn’t do it for me. I found the gearbox cumbersome. I found the interior trying too hard. The car doesn’t handle like a BMW. At a glance maybe, but on familiar back roads here in CT the BMW is much more composed.

The M340 is a sweet spot. It’s 90% the outgoing M3 and honestly it’s the 90% where you find yourself driving. The best car I think BMW has put out since my e90 530 sport stick. That was simply sublime.

The M340 isn’t trying to be a track car... but I’m not driving on the track. It’s a car that promises to be easy to live with. Comfortable, plenty fast, very nice handling. A bit understated.

I even went away from the silver, gray and black.

The tanzanite blue with the black rims at dusk is stunning. A perfect car to go out to dinner. The cognac interior is beautiful. It’s not a Bentley.... but who cares. It’s not Bentley money either. Not close.

Live with it for 3 or 4 years. Think the ownership experience will be better than the Mercedes. They are both great cars. But the BMW, to me, is the more ‘honest’ of the two. The Mercedes just appears to be trying too hard.
And the more I thought on it afterwards, the more the Benz seemed like that great time with a good friend who you later found was sleeping with your SO

You're spot on, and the honesty of the BMW called back to me and after my autocross day the decision was easy. I was shocked at how the car spoke to me even with the electric steering and the ZF8. I could still feel everything I needed to through the chassis itself.

Maybe I'll regret losing that deeper connection through mechanical steering and gearbox, but I also know I can always get that back with an M2 Comp in the future or something older and more purposeful like a classic E46 M3.
Appreciate 0