View Single Post
      02-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #60
Westsider45
draught tolerant
Rep
Drives: '17 C63 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Any "power assisted steering" is technically artificial, and yes that includes hydraulic assist as well.

So really there is nothing "natural" about how much effort is needed to turn the steering wheel in a vehicle with "power" steering.

There is a distinction and difference between power steering assistance level vs what is commonly known as "steering feel".

Just like other vehicle manufacturers, BMW decides how they want their steering assistance levels to feel. If BMW "fakes" the assist level, then so does Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, Ferrari, Mclaren, Hyundai, and any vehicle manufacturer who employs a power assisted steering system.
It's not that complicated to get good steering feel/feedback out of even a modern EPS system.

Cadillac did it in the ATS.

1) Ensure sufficient caster to have strong natural wheel centering. 2) Brace the portions of the frame that carry the steering column/rack for stiffness. 3) Reduce friction in the steering rack.

BMW knows how to do this, they themselves produced much improved steering in the G20 330i relative to the F30 330i.

The M340i reuses the F30's steering rack, though. BIG mistake.
'07 G35 sedan Sport 6MT - tail happy
'94 del Sol Si 5MT - sweet shifter
Appreciate 0