Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
I don't understand why BMW puts coding for stuff like this but doesn't actually enable them. For example like why do US 330s not have sport plus enabled stock? And, why is this engine noise feature not enabled in the first place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
I don't understand why BMW puts coding for stuff like this but doesn't actually enable them. For example like why do US 330s not have sport plus enabled stock? And, why is this engine noise feature not enabled in the first place?
hamzag20 ,

The simple answer is worldwide sales. BMW puts a number of Electronic Control Modules on their cars. They then use the same ECUs in different countries, models & option levels and enable (or not) different functions-- some of which have to be used in conjunction with additional hardware. Two simple examples on my retired F30:
* I found & coded a good awful inside the car back up sound (which I subsequently un-coded) that is mandated in Japan
* I found alarm functions that I coded but never worked because my car didn't have alarm option.
The way I understand coding, which is not programming, is that coding enables functions by using different data sets -- so what we do in coding is to find data sets that enable functions in our cars that aren't currently working-- given the hardware to make them work is present

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
hamzag20557.00