No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Agreed.

My point is, and backed up by the article posted earlier, is that a majority of the lack of feedback is directly related to how BMW programmed the EPS. The designer is quoted as saying exactly that.

Maybe BMW can design a better mechanical interaction of the EPS somehow, it's already a pretty simple system, but if they program out the feel, because that's what they think the customer wants, it won't matter what the mechanical design is.
It's not simply programming. That's just my theory, but if it was a matter of programming, then BMW could put in a "hidden" Sport plus individual steering mode to satisfy the enthusiasts and journalists. They could leave normal Sport and Sport Plus to please the masses. The problem is the design of the steering rack, I'm almost sure of it, short of being an automotive engineer. My Chevy SS steering rack still feels like an EPS rack but it has some feedback. Porsche steering racks have an ample amount of feedback.

I believe that feedback is artificial using some type of force sensors to feed back into the steering wheel and that's what BMW lacks. Maybe it's easier to put in a mid or rear engine car since there is more space in the front of a Porsche. And maybe since GM uses shorter OHV V8 engines they have more room to fit in a proper steering rack. Who knows what it is, but I am convinced it is not simply a matter of software. It's in the hardware. They can reduce the steering ratio to mask some of this like Alfa does, which may be why the car is supposed to feel more jittery, but they haven't addressed the core problem the way GM and Porsche have.
I'm not 100% sure, but didn't the Caddy ATS use the same ZF steering rack as the 3-series?
Appreciate 0