06-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #139
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
When the 991 was released a lot of people disliked it's EPS compared to the hydraulic system in previous 911s. Porsche put out a statement saying how they wanted to eliminate "negative feedback" from the road, things that cause pull drift/tramlining, while maintaining "positive feedback." This "negative feedback" is what we enthusiasts enjoy, but according to Porsche this makes it more difficult for the car to drive quickly. Fair point I suppose.

However, Porsche's EPS is still more naturally weighted and feedback-providing than any EPS-equipped BMW I have driven. There's not loads of feedback, but there is some depending on the road surface. Its not like it's hurting sales on their bread-and-butter Macan/Cayenne which sell overwhelmingly to badge seekers.

It's just disappointing that BMW won't at least try to replicate Porsche's approach to EPS. Fine, BMW steering doesn't have to be as stiff and full of road feedback as it used to be to appease the badge seekers and people with noodle arms who don't even lift, but it shouldn't be Audi/Merc/Lexus levels of boring!
BMW EPS is just not good despite a decade of use, even my Mercedes has better steering than any of my newer BMW's and that is from a brand who is prided on making quiet and comfortable cars for retirees, even my son's Mazda 6 and his wife's CX-9, a three row FWD based crossover, have better steering than most BMW's.

Best steering right now that I've driven is Porsche GT Cars (991.2 GT3, 981 GT4), Chevy Camaro/Cadillac ATS-V, Mustang GT350 and Alfa Giulia in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
spuntyb4066.50