View Single Post
      08-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erMan View Post
Unless you'll be starting a cold engine in *extremely* cold ambient temperatures, i.e., < -25°F, there is hardly any measurable difference in the performance of "weights," or cold weather viscosity grades, under 10w. In other words, 0w and 5w will perform very similarly.

Likewise, unless you're taking the car on the track or otherwise beating on the engine under hard conditions and hot ambient temperatures, there won't be much difference between the two operating temperature viscosity grades, i.e., 30 and 40. An OTVG of 30 will aid in getting the oil temperature up to operating temperature sooner, which can actually be a good thing. Now, if you're racing the car on the track, you might reconsider.

Both oils are long-life rated and properly spec'd for the B48 and B58 engines. My dealer has also used 5w-30 and, the first time they did, I panicked and found some good research on the issue.

Here's a little reading material in case you're interested: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...eather.280598/

Edit: Looks like you're in Brisbane. If so, you'll be fine with any cold weather viscosity. Just remember to use 0w-40 or 5w-40 if you take it on the racetrack.
There's also a benefit regarding the timingchain by going with a thicker base oil ie. 5w instead of 0w. Also less viscosity spread means the oil will hold its specs longer (if its a high quality baseoil that is.)
Appreciate 1
Ikester192125.00