10-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #28
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
I have the JB+ set all the way (4.5psi boost) on 93 octane fuel. The only jerky feeling I ever got was right after cold start if I did not baby the throttle for the first minute of driving. It would buck a little if I gave it mid throttle too quickly. I'm not totally sure it was from the JB+ as I have heard that this trait is common to B58 cars. I just never noticed it before the JB+ was installed. It has also just recently been getting colder here in the PA/MD area. I have noticed some gain in power but sometimes it feels better than other times. It may just be traction control or torque limiting kicking in at times but sometimes I think "Damn, that was quick" and other times I feel like the top end feels about the same. Even if we confirm power gains from a dyno, torque limiting may still keep the car from actually being much quicker. The only way to get around this is from an actual tune where those things can be addressed. Spoofing the Manifold Pressure sensor into thinking there is less pressure can add boost but as soon as the DME senses a torque threshold being broken it can stop the party. That being said, there are some reports of quicker 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times by draggy using the JB4 on Map 3 with an e30 or so mix. If I get around to testing any of this I will be sure to report my findings. I'm pretty sure however that I will ultimately go to a stage 1/2 tune for some real gains. I am used to 500hp cars and even though this car is quite quick with 400hp, I am missing the extra 100 ponies. I will say that I recently added the BMS intake to mine as well and I did not expect to feel a difference as most modern intakes don't do much. I was pleasantly surprised to feel a noticeable difference with this cooler weather, the JB+, and intake on 93 with a couple gallons of e85 mixed in. The intake noises add cool factor and the surge of power with all things combined was noticeably faster. Definitely worth the $400 spent so far for most likely about 50hp and completely reversible in about 15 minutes if going back to the dealer for service or warranty issues.
Thank you for the info. Since cali does not have 93, I probably will stay with just the stock boost level. Or I might go just one more notch up, and make it a 3.5 instead of 3 on the dial knob. Well I guess it will be a touch and go and just have to feel it out. Like you said, JB+ all the way up might be just fine on this B58.

wow 50hp! definitely worth the money. I am just thinking about a dry air filter vs the stock paper filter... what is your thoughts on that? few hp gain, or complete waste of money?
Appreciate 0