View Single Post
      12-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #22
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

Mobile signal and Wireless Carplay dropouts are unrelated. It's like what a few people have said. Wireless Carplay uses WIFI and it is susceptible to interference. Since the 2020/07 update it does jump WiFi channels when there is interference a lot better, problem is, it doesn't remember and resets every time you get in the car. So those temporary spots that drop your signal will still cause you pain. It is more of an issue in Australia because our regulation around Wifi frequencies and emission standards are well behind the rest of the world (basically everyone gets away with using cheap, crap Wifi gear that isn't emission tested properly, including the govt.)

Just to add, I've had a buddy in the passenger seat with a WiFi signal analyzer and I've driven to the areas in Perth that drop out my CarPlay. The signal analyzer goes off it's nut (loads of interference) in the areas it drops. I think the only possible fixes BMW could do is work out how to get it to change channels and remember it (learn over time what areas need what channels), or, provide better signal shielding for inside the cabin, however the latter might be a lot harder due to the whole keyless entry system.
Appreciate 0