02-21-2021, 10:24 AM   #29
Basile
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d Sport Line

G20 318d vs 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Disclaimer: I own a 318d Sport Line with quite a few extras and have done 9000km in the last 3 months with it.

318d automatic has more than enough power for normal and fast paced driving. It will do 225kmh and can cruise at 160kmh on the highway all day at little less than 2500rpm without breaking a sweat. It is very economical. In extremely short distance city driving without caring about consumption you'll get 7.5 l/100km (worst case scenario) from it. On country roads consumption is around 5 liters with normal driving (with eco you'll get even less), and it will do 150-160kmh on highway with 6,5l/100km or 180mkh with 7,5l/100km which is absolutely fantastic. This being said, it's definitely not a sports car. 330e will certainly be more alive on straight-line acceleration because it has more horsepower and electric engine gives it even more boost.

From my experience, day to day driving, it's gonna be the same if you drive a 318d or 330e. Both cars perform adequately for travelling and commuting and 95% of the time the road conditions will make it absolutely irrelevant which of these engines is under the hood.

On the other hand - every time you sit in your car you'll be aware of the look and feel of the cabin. You'll be aware of the shape of your seat. I won't even mention the visual impact of the exterior trim.

In and out, "Advantage" equipment package really looks very poor compared to higher level trims. Fabric seats don't look good and chronically lack back and thigh support. Interior trim is made from cheap-looking plastic, the regular steering wheel doesn't look nice as M-one. Lack of ambient lights inside and out also significantly degrade the overall atmosphere in the car. Smaller 17 wheels on an advantage are nowhere near as nice as 18" wheels on M sport.

Personally, I would rather drive a loaded 318d then 330e, anyday. For the same reason I added more equipment to my 318d than opted for 320d with less equipment.
I've sat in a G20 with an "Advantage" package, and to me it's really a huge step down compared to a loaded Sport Line or an M sport model.

After 3 months and almost 10.000km with the car, I rarely wish for more power as even with this engine I effortlessly move faster than almost all the traffic around me (0-100kmh in 8.3s is faster than most cars on the road in EU). This is mostly because of the 8 speed ZF automatic transmission and the availability of maximum torque from 1500rpm. Combination of these two things really make a 318d much faster than any other 150hp car I've ever driven. I would strongly recommend to take a test drive before ordering to see if it's good enough for you.

On the other hand, if you can squeeze out 3000€ to add Sport Line to 330e, maybe that could be the sweet spot for you. I chose diesel primarily because I do A LOT of long-distance high speed highway driving and nothing comes even close to diesels in that territory.

If you have any other questions, I'll be more than happy to answer.
Hi there,

I am also in a “decision phase” in choosing between 318d and 330e and what you mention helped me a lot. Currently driving a 116d Sport Line 3 door
Here in Greece a G20 318d model with full extras (automatic, M sport, laser, leather, professional screen system, 18 inches, HiFi system extra etc) costs approx. 56k and same specs and equipment for the 320d will cost 63k and this is not my budget
However, the relevant 330e with same specs due to an BMW M Sport offer comes at 58k
My concern is that at the moment there are not enough charging points for electric cars in the country and I may be running an 1850 kg car with a 2 liter engine with reduced performance and increased consumption. Further I am not sure about the 50/50 weight distribution of 330e. Could not find any comments
I was also very concerned about the recent recall of BMW hybrids including the 330e for battery short circuit
So, I am satisfied with your report on the 318d and especially your comment “From my experience, day to day driving, it's gonna be the same if you drive a 318d or 330e. Both cars perform adequately for travelling and commuting and 95% of the time the road conditions will make it absolutely irrelevant which of these engines is under the hood”
Best Regards
Basile
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50