View Single Post
      04-19-2021, 05:31 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg20 View Post
Just to finish off this thread, rear pads now changed.

One of the rear pads on my car on the driver side was indeed 1mm from metal - the technician showed me it on the car, absolutely nothing left on it! So as has been mentioned, the fact my OBC was saying the car needed rear pads in 2000 miles was irrelevant - If I had tried to leave it 2000 miles I would have wrecked the disc in less than 500. The issue seems to be there are two rear pads on each wheel, but only one wear sensor.

So if you start getting a warning about pad replacement on the OBC, my advice is not to wait too long, and get the brakes checked as soon as you can. Hope this helps.
I'm wondering why the sensor didn't trigger? Or there was so much imbalance across the pads, one was wearing prematurely.

BTW, what braking system? Fixed pot 'sport' option? Draggy calliper on one side?

BMW's floating calliper brakes have the sensor on the pad side that tends to wear fastest. So any sensor trigger, should be for worst case pad wear.

Fixed callipers should wear equally each side, unless one side is dragging for some reason.
Appreciate 0