cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Sorry I thought you meant the man made stuff not real quartz.
Found this online.

The biggest difference between quartz and quartzite is that quartz is a man-made material, while quartzite is a natural stone. A quartzite countertop begins as sandstone, which under a natural process of heat and pressure is fused with sparkly quartz crystals to form quartzite.

Quartzite typically comes in shades of white or light grey, but minerals in the stone can lend pink, gold, or reddish-brown hues.

A quartz countertop is engineered with the same quartz crystals found in quartzite, but a man-made process binds the crystal with resins, pigments, and other materials such as bits of glass. This process results in a very durable, non-porous countertop material that comes in a wide variety of colors and designs.

Aside from the different composition of these two materials, the stylistic differences are quite striking as well. Quartzite is often mistaken for marble or granite, as it has the delicate veining of marble and similar coloration and patterning to some granites. Those seeking a natural look with lots of movement may prefer a quartzite countertop. Quartz on the other hand, can be made to look like any stone, and is offered in many different shades and patterns. If you have a specific color in mind, or want a consistent pattern throughout your slab, a quartz countertop is probably a better bet for your home.
Another big difference between quartz and quartzite is the care routine and durability of each material. The binding process makes quartz extremely durable as it helps to extract air, making quartz a hard surface that is non-porous, and therefore resistant to chipping, scratching, and bacteria.

Quartzite is a fairly hard stone, but it's less dense than quartz and susceptible to easily staining in a heavy use area such as the kitchen. Quartzite requires sealing to prevent staining the surface, while quartz needs virtually no maintenance.
vreihen1615629.50
King Rudi13164.00
RickFLM411002.50