View Single Post
      02-06-2022, 05:53 AM   #44
barian
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 318i

It might be helpful to separate out the additional features of the visibility pack. Firstly, there is the longer range main beam with the laser lights. Second, the selective beam forming which, in effect, allows most of the main beam illumination to remain on when there is approaching traffic, or vehicles ahead. I came from a Mercedes with ILS (intelligent light system) which had the beam forming but not the long range laser lights. I found the Mercedes system very good and my starting point was that I wanted the visibility pack on the BMW. However, when I specced the other things I definitely wanted, like driver assistance, adding the visibility pack would have taken me over the £40k list point with the higher VED, so the effective cost over 5 years would, in my case have been around £3k not £1.5k. Having read the comments here, and taking into account my pattern of use which involves very little driving on unlit rural roads, I decided that was too much. But I was worried that I had made a mistake. As it turns out, I am happy with my choice.

Going back to the separate benefits of the visibility pack, I think that the main beam range of the adaptive LED's is good enough that I wouldn't drive faster if I could see further ahead, although I appreciate others might take a different view (no pun intended!). In relation to the selective beam forming, I find the standard adaptive light function, while obviously not as good, does provide surprisingly good illumination when dipped. In particular it picks out the nearside of the road very well. My overall conclusion (and I appreciate I have not made a direct comparison) is that on unlit rural roads with other traffic the visibility pack would probably allow me safely to drive a little bit quicker, but that is it.

I should add that, if the OP opts for the standard lights, he would be well advised to add the high beam assistant (HBA) which is £150 through the Connect Drive store. In my case, if the net cost had been £1350 rather than £3k and even though I do very little driving on rural roads, I would probably have gone for the visibility pack. But then I am a sucker for technology and there is some pleasure to be derived from seeing the lights do their magic tricks. So, as others have commented, a lot may depend on the pattern of use. Even allowing for this, if the OP is concerned that not opting for the visibility pack will prove a serious limitation, I think he should not be.
Appreciate 1
siwatkins115.00