View Single Post
      02-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #94
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Did Porsche activate the 350kW charge rates? I thought it was still 270kW?

Regardless, peak charge rates are just that, and it's sustained to only a portion throughout the entire charge curve in usually a waning manner.

For that to be sustained for a longer rate, the battery would have to be larger capacity where "0-100%" is only 50-60% of the battery's full capacity - - -> more space for electrons to flow into the battery and move around efficiently since the closer you are to true battery capacity, the slower the charge rate.

If 200kWh battery on a solid state would equal the weight/size of a 100kWh lithium-ion version (doubtful since it wouldn't be a 2:1), and having 100kWh as usable, I can see it being closer to 10 mins.

But that doesn't resolve the weight issue but in practice would reduce charge times through shear total capacity alone to sustain the 350kw rate for a longer period.
I am hoping 350kW(and up) can charge 20%-80%(60%) in 5 to 10 minutes on a 50kWh 2x(or more) solid state that can go 500 miles full charge.

Another point made previously by another poster is exotic light weight like CFRP is costly.

My thinking is that, similar to battery cost driven down with scale, cost reduction can also happen for these light weight alternatives with enough scale, and these alternatives can drop curb weight, which may help miles/kWh, which can in turn drop battery size and reduce charge time, and ....
Appreciate 0