View Single Post
      02-23-2022, 05:42 PM   #97
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I agree with what’s been said above battery tech needs to change, weight has to come down by a fair old margin be it through increase capacity of power thus reducing the number needed or increasing the charging capabilities so you don’t need the range because 150 miles can be added in the same time it takes to fill a tank with fuel, ideally this would be the one I would favour.
For one I disagree that current tech meets 95% of all use cases, in reality the current tech meets 95% of current BEV owner's use cases, or else they won't own BEVs.

E.g. current BEV owners are conditioned to hide charging time, that does not work for many(who then don't choose current gen BEV).

Your point of 150 miles in 2-3 minutes also makes sense, e.g. if tech can eventually hit 10 miles/kWh, then 150 miles takes 15kWh, which takes 2.57 minutes to charge at full 350kW rate.

For 10 miles/kWh, 300 miles only needs 30kWh, which is huge savings of resources of current tech. This comes full cycle when one realizes that a large part of BEV industry is powered by fossil fuel.
Appreciate 0