12-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #12
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
I appreciate this review, thank you for your effort in putting this all together.

I will be going from a 2011 LCI E90 328i xDrive to this. I wonder how much different our experiences will be once I get my m340i LCI this month (hopefully). Mine will have the kick tailgate thankfully.

One of the interesting things I find is the headlights. Like you, I have the infamous xenon's on my E90, so that is a minor concern I have, and is disappointing to hear that they might not be utterly amazing, which I was really hoping for.

A lot of your other issues I likely won't find annoying (not that they aren't valid), just because I haven't driven all the cars in between my E90 and this, so likely the overall package will be well worth it. I will be happy just to simply have carplay period.

As for why a wide screen over tall screen. Technically, it likely is better from a safety pov than a taller screen, because your eyes don't have to change as much on the Y-axis, thus allowing your eyes to be peripherally closer to the windshield than if you had to look down some more on a screen that is tall but not nearly as wide. That said, tall screens are a lot easier to design and navigate.

For your iDrive 7 vs 8 complaints, I feel like some of those depend on how much a driver uses the built in functions over carplay/android auto. That said, I am sure they are still valid. I have driven an iDrive 7 car (an X3), and I gotta say, iDrive 8 looks like a huge upgrade. iDrive 7 looks outdated and lacking of functionality in areas. I think some of it is subjective to software. Some people prefer Apple, some people prefer Android, that type of thing, is the nature of software. Again, no knocks against your review, just that I will be interested to see if I have the same thoughts as you.

For why you don't have the sport adjustable side bolsters on the driver side, it is because of the senastec I believe. The leather options have it for the driver side iirc.

Finally for the cooled seats, yeah I agree (though to me, not having the option of rear heated seats is worse). The cooled seats though I don't know how much one is missing, I have heard of pretty bad seat and cooling quality on BMW's cooled seats on various of models.

Everything else though, I think you are probably spot on. Very thorough review. Thank you for your effort, this will help me understand the car once I get it hopefully soon. Should be a very nice upgrade over my E90.
My buddy is placing an order so it's good to know that bolster is dependent on leather. BMW is terrible at marketing.

As far as the screen - I don't think most people, myself included, spend a lot of time interacting with the screen. I only ever have to interact with the screen for media/music/CarPlay. Sometimes I use it to set my nav. That's it. Once I'm on my way I use the HUD. So for those of us with pre-LCI there's no FOMO when it comes to the screen and having physical preset buttons is a bonus. If I had LCI with no physical buttons where I was forced to use the screen then that's a different story.

Congrats on your new car.
Appreciate 0