Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
some more packing
I disagree with you. People like you are focused entirely on making sure poor people lack dignity and autonomy. A poor person couldn’t possibly save up for anything, because if they got anything from the government then they shouldn’t be lolling about enjoying life. It is an inhumane way to view fellow humans.

There will always be waste in society and that waste will exist at all levels. There are kids born today who are inheriting fortunes and living comfortably even though their wealthy father last contributed positively to the world over 100 years ago and none of them have contributed anything since. No one ever complains about these people’s claim to resources they didn’t earn…

Instead of focusing on how how miserable we want to see poor people. We should be focusing on how can we have a humane basic living standard and clear pathways for people to climb up. Very few people want to live in abject poverty, but they aren’t shown a way out. It is why poverty is deeply generational.

I grew up extremely poor in N. Philly. We were poor enough that our food went outside on the roof in the winter since we lacked electricity and running water. I’m a college graduate working in high tech as a self taught soft. engineer. Sounds great, but I understand the level of sacrifice and commitment it took me to get to where I am and why the model you’re in favor of doesn’t help anyone — except those who feel better knowing they are “above the poor”.

Don’t even get me started on how poorly funded and segregated schools and access to education is in the US. Like the fact my HS lacked drinkable running water or our textbooks were literally from the 1960s.

Spend the money on figuring out how we can increase mobility in society so the poor have a pathway out not wasting it on “enforcement” of rules meant to remind people of their poverty.
Appreciate 0