04-26-2023, 10:57 AM   #14
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
We have platinum status with NCL, and only book full suites so that we get the full first-class treatment with concierge and access to private suite life bar, restaurant, and secret indoor pool. I'm not really a fan of the humongous floating shopping malls that they call cruise ships these days, but NCL has phased out all of the older/smaller ships from their fleet. Sailed through everything including a full-on nor'easter, with 25 foot seas, gale-force winds, and rime ice on the balcony railings and ship's superstructure. Also survived an on-board fire (while docked), where they made all of the remaining passengers and most of the "hotel" staff leave the ship and stand on the dock for a few hours while they put out the fire and cleaned up the impacted cabin.

I had suggested that someone look into European river cruises in another thread yesterday. I've only seen commercials for them and never gone, but they seem to be sort of like slow-moving barges using Europe's historic network of inland rivers between cities. Minimal exposure to rough waters, and the same benefits as ocean cruises of waking up every morning in a different port/city without having to pack and haul luggage.....
We don't have Platinum status yet, but we're close. We started our cruise experience booking balcony staterooms until we got upgraded to a suite. Since then, we only book suites. The Pride of America has very nice suites with huge balconies compared to other ships. Here is what we have booked for Hawaii:

Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-26 095700.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  110.4 KB

It "accommodates" six if you use the sofa bed and the additional murphy bed that is in the suite. Not a bad deal if you are traveling with a family considering that NCL often lets additional guests beyond the first two sail for free if they are in the same cabin.
Appreciate 3
diirk1046.50
vreihen1615638.50
sygazelle11529.00