View Single Post
      07-20-2023, 02:20 PM   #105
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionControlDelete View Post
Seems like hydrid makes the most sense, no? They’ve already gone that direction with the XM and the next M5 so I’d be shocked if it was purely ICE or purely EV.
Hybrid can be good but tricky to get right. If you go in the direction the XM has gone and try to make it a PHEV with significant EV range...no, no good. You've got too much battery and you end up with too heavy of a car lacking performance. The thing can't even out-perform an X5M. That car should have been an X8 //M60. It would have been FINE. But because they called it, not only an //M but an actual letter //M it set expectations it couldn't possibly hit.

OTOH, somehow Mercedes managed to make the C63 weigh more than if they made it out of tungsten, even with a very small battery with, what, less than 10 miles of range and a 4 banger. Probably because it has 80 gazillion motors and AWD. As a result it has all the HP's but none of the feelz.

I'm really intrigued to try the E-Ray. On paper, I think they have gotten it right. And from early ride-alongs, it seems like reality is matching the paper. We will see.

But the BIGGIE is going to be the 992.2. Hybrid is coming to the 911. The 992 is already pretty super-sized for a 911. How will it feel and drive? Stay tuned...

(P.S. I own a Cayenne PHEV now so I live with the pros and cons and I'm not talking out my a$$).
Appreciate 1