View Single Post
      08-11-2023, 04:02 AM   #71
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthol View Post
If you mean professional teams, they don't have to worry about longevity. However, I think 5W40 is common on at least some teams with the B48. If you mean normal people with their everyday cars, well... people do many things on track differently from the street because it'll be only a few miles but I personally would not run W50 on these engines, even on track. Expensive racing engine oil anyway is usually very different for street one. For one, it usually has a super high ZDDP content that will quickly fuck your cat and OPF filter if used daily. It's also tends to have a very high esther and/or AN concentrations in the base which makes it very expensive but also flow and protect the engine better (because of the molecular polarity of these bases which tend to "stick" to metals).
Again you are shooting in the dark. More reading.
HTHS is everything. All BMW approvals are based on HTHS!
CCP is important, but thick and thin debate is not about CCP but KV100 and VI doesn’t have anything to do with it.
You read something, but you didn’t connect anything even close. Esthers (it is ester), AN’s, ZDDP. The fact that you are thinking that Redline 15W50 has elevated ZDDP content says enough. You obviously don’t have any idea what BMW people use on track (not teams) as you have never been there.
I am not BMW engineer, but I worked on oil development.
You don’t understand basic CCP and viscosity of oil at those temperatures. Otherwise, you wouldn’t mention “tight tolerances.” When someone mentions “tight tolerances “ I know they read something on Reddit or similar web site.
Appreciate 0