View Single Post
      08-13-2023, 04:05 AM   #81
ericold
Private
Rep
Drives: e88 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
First, you are confusing what is thick and what is thin. That doesn’t have anything with CCP, or 0W or 5W. Thicker or thinner means KV100, or second number.
Quote:
Again you are shooting in the dark. More reading.
HTHS is everything. All BMW approvals are based on HTHS!
CCP is important, but thick and thin debate is not about CCP but KV100 and VI doesn’t have anything to do with it.
i am a little bit confused ,i must say. we talked about it 2 times and to my relevant question about what shows thickness of an oil ,grade or hths you said HTHS. now you say KV is what names thicks or thin an oil. can you please explain what you mean?

Quote:
Well, I worked on oils that had to pass BMW, MB and VW approvals, so API comes to
Me as surprise. I must tell people I worked with that all this time we were wrong.
HTHS is measured differently. It is viscosity at 150c. It is measured using SAME methodology as CCP measurements. Grade is IRRELEVANT in BMW approvals as well as MB (VW is the only one tying grade to approvals). 150c is normal temperature at certian engine parts and gives manufacturers far better indication of oil film where it matters as same grade (since that is range) can have far different HTHS value. 30 could mean anything. It could mean HTHS of 2.9 in some mediocre ILSAC XW30 oil or 3.58cP in Castrol Edge 0W30 or 3.7 in Redline Performance 5W30.
is there a 30 grade oil that has a HTHS over 3.6 right now?
Appreciate 0