09-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #95
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
So.. I think I'm going to need to make do with having a detailer fix the chips on my bonnet and front bumper. If I can find one I trust that is.

Chips Away came back to me stating they woud need to do a full respray on the bonnet, and that alone would cost £300, a frighteningly LOW price.

I've also had a few car enthustasts state that they would not touch Chips Away with a barge poll, so... IDK.

The other paint shop who actually see the car quoted upwards of around £1K and the dealer sure won't pay that much either.

If possible, all I really want is for somebody to fill the chips in with BMW paint and buff it back so it's looks considerably less noticeable, and add some sealant, and then polish over the top of that etc.

I'd rather not have the full bonnet resprayed, that could easliy cause more problems if it's not done perfectly, and other than the stone chips the bonnet looks fantastic.

Should I be pushing the dealer more? Oh, the joys! What to do? What to do?....
This would be the course of action I personally would consider and appears one that you are seriously considering too?

Agree with your reasoning with regard to repainting the entire bonnet with regard to cost, dealer contribution, if any at all and the potential for ending up with something a lot worse. As you say the bonnet looks great apart from the annoying stone chips. I think you will be impressed with just how good the Chipex stuff is for matching and if you look at all their marketing fluff on their website and the choreographed 'how to do it' videos the end results look amazing.

All I do, however, is to touch in with very, very tiny amounts of the paint and build up with additional coats until 'level' with the surrounding paint then got the detailer I use to carefully lightly machine polish the area to 'blend' the stone chip in. The result is unnoticeable from anything more than two feet away from the car.
OK you'll know it's there but I bet virtually nobody else would.

I can understand your disappointment, frustration and annoyance over it but relatively speaking is it worth 'binning' an otherwise superb car for?

Unfortunately you are likely to pick up the odd stone chip in the future anyway which can be touched in similarly?
Appreciate 1