RNigel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBimmer View Post
I've seen a lot of confusion and misinformation in these forums, so lets clarify the requirements for the M-Performance Brake Kit on the G20 3 series!

Backstory
I recently installed M Performance Brakes on my North American 330i that used to have the base floating calipers. I learned a lot of things in the process.

After the upgrade, I ended up with annoyingly soft/mushy brake feel. Totally fine for daily road use, annoying for backroad driving, and inadequate for track use. The faster you go and the harder you press on the brakes, the softer they feel - not great! And yes, they were coded in properly.

How could these brakes feel so mushy? I've driven an M-Sport Brake equipped 330i and an M340i with the same M-Sport brakes - these cars had a consistently firm pedal and near-instant brake bite with minimal pedal travel. How could my car with M-Performance Brakes feel so different? I sought out for a solution. The answers are below.

As for why I made the upgrade?
1. They look great. The base floating calipers are a travesty - should be a crime that BMW does not include M-Sport brakes in the M-Sport package (they're a standalone option).
2. I wanted brakes that were capable of light to medium track use. Base floating calipers don't cut it. AP Racing kits or Brembo kits were twice the price of the M-Performance. From this perspective, it made sense.

Minimum Wheel Size Requirements for M-Performance Brake Kit
The g20 M Performance brakes will fit on SOME 18 inch wheels - that's why the official minimum is 18inch for the [...]
This was a fantastic read. Thank you so much for this info!
Appreciate 0