View Single Post
      12-21-2023, 07:34 AM   #1
deeJayOg
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e

Question G20 Adaptive M Suspention - Creaking noise

Anybody else have this issue?

My 330e with 50000km on board has some weird noises coming from the front of the car after the weather cooled a bit.

Basically, the first time the car goes over bigger speed bumps or maybe a pothole or something, I hear a creaking noise coming from the front of the car (it seems it's both left and right - if you only take the bump with left is just left or vice-versa).

The noise is close to something like metal creaking just as you pass the bump.

I have checked the car at a BMW Dealer as well as an independent BMW service, no one found any issues with the suspension or anything. I have several new components there as well such as lower arms and tie rods, tie rod ends...etc This noise was there before these as well.

Now, the weird part is the noise can be heard ONLY when it's cold outside and only for the 1st or 2nd time the suspension needs to do a longer travel (so bigger speed bumps or potholes).

Once it creaks once, it goes away for the whole trip or day (so the car has to cool down a lot to get the noise back - usually overnight). I can not reproduce the noise otherwise whatever I try. All is smooth.

BMW tells me that this type of noise is "normal" on the Adaptive M Suspension and that it takes a bit for the oils inside to warm up.
Now, what they say is indeed what happens with the car, but my logic tells me it's stupid for a 60000EUR car to creak like cheap vehicle from 30 years ago.

What do you people think about this? Should I believe BMW? Is it normal? I mean 2 totally different shops said nothing looks suspicious on the front end of the car.