01-06-2024, 11:13 PM   #22
JRocker3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
I guess I’m surprised, this is my first BMW and I’ve had Acuras for the majority of my life. I would replace my tires every couple years so I was not expecting to pay $2000-$4000 a year to replace tires especially when I bought wheel and tire coverage.

Is this because the car is more aggressive or is it because the OEM tires are garbage?

Also, what would be a good summer tire that would used primarily for the streets but also be used at a track once or twice a year? I have no spare tire.
It’s not clear in your post if your car is X-Drive or not? M Diff? Staggered wheels? Either way, as most others are commenting, this mileage seems about right.

I’m not sure I’d call an OEM BMW tire “garbage”, but certainly there is room to optimize depending on your goals.

I also learned this in a similar manner many years ago with my E90 335… I got 10k on my first set of Continental DWS. Since then, rotations when applicable, air pressure checks, and adjusted expectations have made it easier to handle. After all, these are performance road cars! More tire wear means more grip/friction… this is a good thing!

Another thing to consider… any good service advisor will make a strong recommendation to you to replace wear parts. That’s their job. Perhaps consider doing the measurements yourself? You may find that you have much more life than is being suggested?

If you’re looking for a summer tire you can track, go with the Michelin PS4S. By many measures it’s somewhat of a “gold standard” for this exact application. If you select a tire that can’t handle the buildup of heat on the track, you’ll end up buying new tires (again) pretty quickly.

On the other side, if you want a street tire that can handle the torque of a B58 with a better chance at longevity, you might consider the Michelin PS All Season, but certainly not for the track. This may also allow you keep one set of wheels to run all year long.

Get a AAA membership and forget about the spare, and ditch the run flats for good.