View Single Post
      02-16-2024, 04:23 PM   #12
Doey
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i 2023

Hey M340i, thanks so much for your detailed post as I was looking for someone's feedback as I'm trying to make the same decision as you!

I have a 2023 M340i and I've been flipping back and forth between MHD and JB4 on 93 petrol only (98RON). I'm hoping to get your opinion on whether the pros of the MHD is worth it for my use.

I'll be only using the car as a daily and I never intend to track it. I previously had an 2018 audi s3 stage 2 tuned, so I don't actually know what a piggyback feels like. Having said that my s3 was very responsive and I could get power very quickly whenever I needed it.
Currently the stock car feels a lot heavier and less zippy than my S3, I'm hoping to get some consistent power in.

Cost:
JB4 = AUD $4200 ($1100 jb4 wireless + $2500 AA DP +600 xHP trans flash)
MHD = AUD$5100-$5600 (Femto unlock $2000 + $1700 Racewerks downpipe + $840 MHD licence + 600 xHP trans flash)

one of the minor benefits of JB is being able to remove the piggy back if needed and recouping that value down the track as a resell...the inconvenience of sending it off to FEMTO doesnt bother me that much.

My main deciding factors would be:
- More power delivered in a comfortable drive. For example, I can't tolerate the stock Sport plus mode because it shifts way too hard and is way too jerky.

What do you mean by the mhd having more consistent power? I'm not planning to ever track or launch it...just some spirited driving. If I put my foot down on the pedal, would you notice any lag, jerkiness or inconsistent power delivery difference between the two? I'm hoping that the xHP tune which I intend to get for both will help bridge any perceived jerkiness.
You mentioned no more butt dyno...So I'm guessing the MHD feels way more responsive from start (i.e. for example the 0-45 with just a tap)? That would actually be a big decider for me if the lower end power delivery was more instantaneous in the MHD.

TLDR:
If you were in my situation with my intended use (i.e. just daily driver, overtaking at lights and on highway etc), do you think the MHD benefits would be enough to justify the increased cost (lets say around $2000 AUD)
also thanks so much for your initial detailed reply!!
Appreciate 1