View Single Post
      03-08-2024, 07:42 PM   #75
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
I thought because the sulfur content in us gasoline ll04 is not suitable? Also, I’m worried about warranty being void if I use ll01. Ugh, they should list that as suitable as well as all the other suitable oil. This is all I see:
First of all, welcome to the world of BMW oil recommendations, where nothing makes sense.

BMW wants you to use LL17FE+. OK, duly noted. They wanted you to use bcs. they need EPA to bump their average mpg to meet CAFE.
LL17FE+ is low-SAPS oil. What does that mean? SAPS is SUlfated Ash and Phosphorus. It is byproduct. It is what clogs DPF/GPF; it is what is on the intake valve (CBU or IVD, however, you wanna call it). Low SAPS oils are oils that have SAPS below 0.8%. Those oils extend life of DPF or GPF. Full SAPS oils have SAPS above 1%.
LL01: Full SAPS
LL01FE: Full SAPS
LL04: Low/Mid-SAPS
LL17FE: Low/Mid SAPS.

NOW, BMW wants you to use LL17FE, but in the absence of that, LL01FE. It is absolutely insane. But, it is BMW< their oil recommendations very often don't make any sense.
So, if you want a more robust version of LL17FE, go LL04. You could also go LL01 if car does not have GPF.

As for gas, since 01/2017 US has Ultra Low Sulfur Gas (ULSG).
Appreciate 1
AlexC2er114.00