Thread: Advice
View Single Post
      04-14-2024, 09:24 AM   #13
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

I think the opinion/advice given by ‘Boris’ above really sums it up for you.
As for having the damage inspected by a BMW Approved Bodyshop just be aware they may suggest replacement of parts to return it to factory perfect condition despite the fact that that won’t affect the operational capability of your car in any way. If cosmetically even you can barely notice it then maybe live with it as over time you’ll probably almost forget about it.
There is an ‘impacter’ behind the bumper cover but I’d doubt that has been compromised if the impact was very low speed.
Because hindsight is a very exact science we only appreciate the benefit of afterwards the ‘lack’ of evidence eg photos at the time of the incident (like you said there wasn’t anything sufficiently visible enough to record anyway) doesn’t supply any supporting evidence for you unfortunately. The other driver will I doubt adopt the attitude that the damage was caused retrospectively so you could well find yourself in a ‘he said, she said’ situation which would likely be unresolvable.
As for informing insurance companies….well that has to be a personal decision. Unfortunately the way insurance companies work these days doesn’t encourage any openness in dialogue between company and customer and indeed makes otherwise always ‘honest, and law abiding’ folk question their continuing stance in that regard!
In your position I think I would probably get BMW to look at it for my own peace of mind or indeed even if just out of curiosity and decide then based on that outcome. I’d forget about pursuing the other driver for compensation as it has the potential to open a ‘Pandora’s box’ of a right shitstorm and accidentally ‘forget’! to mention anything to an insurance company to deny them the very likely potential of punishing you in the future financially because I reckon it’s very highly unlikely the other driver will say anything to her insurance company on the grounds of self-incrimination if nothing else?
Appreciate 1
jcgd9114.50